Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

My New Momism Trick

Posted by   + Show Post

Two seconds.

Those are the pair of words I say the most often. I probably say them twenty times a day...or more. As a response to "Mom, can you come see my picture?" while I'm elbow deep in the dishes. Or after "Gimme" as a retort to "Mooom, where are my scissors?" Or slotted behind "I need" when the call "Moooooooom, are you ready yet?" comes sliding under the bathroom door.

Two seconds.

For a while, when Kiddo was younger, it was an easy one to use to give me time. She knew that after I said it, she'd have to wait. Fast-forward to her now-seven-year-old self. She's not as amenable to the vagueness in the way I use two seconds. Recently, she's begun counting, "One....two..." and announcing that my time is up. Which, of course, she's right.

What does a mom do when her usual Momism go-to no longer works on her kiddo? The mom has a few options. First, change up the Momism. "Gimme five minutes" could be used, though negotiations could ensue to have a shorter amount of time, which defeats the purpose. Second, she could inform the child that it is two seconds in a "loose" sense, which could lead to the child then picking up a habit of being "loose" with statements or time management skills...a slippery slope to unforeseen ramifications.

Or third, she switches to another Momism all together. Which is what I've been attempting to do. But I didn't know which one to switch to...so I got a Magic Eight Ball and gave it to her.  When she calls, "Mommmmmm, can you come here to see the kitty wedding?" while I am in the middle of writing a post, I ask her to check the Magic Eight Ball. "My sources say No" and "Reply is hazy, try again later" seem to pop up a lot.

What are your go-to Momisms? Which do you find saying most often?

©iStockphoto.com/ maeroris

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-48):
sanj1213
by on May. 3, 2014 at 12:03 AM
I say just a moment or mintute.
celestegood
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM
I know! It's true. Why does being the mom make you the one who can do it all? We are just one person.

Quoting splatz:

Well, I am glad I am not the only one. I mean how many different directions can one person really be expected to be pulled in?

Quoting celestegood: Exactly! I say that one at least twice a day.
I'm starting to feel like everyone thinks I'm a magical multitasking octopus.

Quoting splatz:

haha yes! Or I only have two hands!

Quoting celestegood: In a minute! I can't do it all, people! Geesh!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocky_mtn_mama
by New Member on May. 3, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Hahaha!  "Reply is hazy"  I love that.  I think I need to get a Magic 8 ball for my kids!

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Ugh this, all day long!! lol

Quoting wandep:

Just give me a minute.

Linds2Horse
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Just a sec
krys1025
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Wait a minute or I only have two hands!
Numom61507
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Hang on a sec <- I definitely overuse that. 

aneela
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:50 PM

ha ha that is funny and cute

Quoting liveforever:

Im queen of give me a minute. Dd can tell time now so shes quick to tell me when an exact minute is up. Its been switching to a more broad hang on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)