Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Lubba You

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 62 Replies

My daughter stands in front of me, her arms up in the universal sign for "pick me up and do it NOW".

"Hold you, Mama! I hold you!"

I know she really means that she wants me to hold her and that perhaps a grammar Nazi might want to correct her, I smile and enjoy the little verbal quirk.

She just turned two so I am actually in the peak age for adorable mispronunciations and verb quirks. She tells me when she wants to "nuggle under da cubbers" (snuggle under the covers) or "need yubbie" (needs a lovely to hold) or "I see kitty nice nice" (she sees the sweet old cat from next door).

I enjoy hearing her little voice as she figures out how language works and I know that the days of cute scrambled ways of talking don't last very long.

My (about two in the picture up there but almost six now) son's days of  "I wanna pocky d" (popsicle) and "bubba you" (love you) didn't last nearly long enough.

(Though, thankfully, I am REALLY glad he finally learned to pronounce the name Percy from Thomas the Tank Engine. I was very red-faced during one Target trip when he shouted his version of Percy in the toy aisle. How do I put this delicately? Imagine a two year old screaming a word that sounds awfully like a certain slang word for a women's body part and/or a cat. Yikes.)

Beyond the cute factor, I think I like her use of language because those mispronunciations mark her as still being a baby, my last baby. I love my kids at every age and stage but as we leave the baby stages for good, I treasure the last moments of that stage.

What are your favorite kid pronunciations or cute verbal quirks?

by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Chase says lub you :)
Corwin doesn't talk much yet.
chrissydan
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 1:46 AM
I can't just pick one! My dd is turning 2 so just getting into that stage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 7:18 AM

So cute!!! My kids are older but I remember my ds saying skoo bus for when his sister was on the school bus

elasmimi
by on May. 5, 2014 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest used to say douche for juice. Real embarrassing in a restaurant.

goddess99
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM

My dd used to call Pinocchio Pinockyocky lol it was so cute.

sarahjz
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

My youngest says, "Hold you," when she wants me to pick her up.  My 5 year old used to say, "...petjack" when talking about a jetpack.  So cute.

mrswillie
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
My grandson couldn't say MamMaw and PapPaw. It came out MamMoo and PapPoo. It was a joke...I was a cow and dh a pile of poop. Lol
liveforever
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Quoting elasmimi:

My oldest used to say douche for juice. Real embarrassing in a restaurant.

LOL!! Omg Id die...thats hilarious!

liveforever
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM

When dd was little, never was nebber. Doggie was goggie. Helicopter was helipopper. I always liked that one. She had a bunch but it was so long ago I cant think of others right now!

liveforever
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Quoting mrswillie: My grandson couldn't say MamMaw and PapPaw. It came out MamMoo and PapPoo. It was a joke...I was a cow and dh a pile of poop. Lol

Lol at least you got to be the cow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN