Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Save Your Skin! Stop Doing These 6 Things!

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

You see that up there? The universal sign of "Stop Doing (insert whatever it is that's behind that red slash with a circle)"...it's a clue as to what I'm covering today, ladies. Yup, you guessed it. Yesterday's fun was all about the best things we can do to keep our skin healthy. Today: the worst things we do, those habits and activities that we may not even know affects our skin. What are some of the worst offenders?

-- High-impact exercise. Yes, running helps to keep you from sagging in certain places, but that pounding on the pavement (or the treadmill) can lead to a sagging face -- it weakens the collagen in your skin. Better alternative to break a sweat? Using an elliptical machine or taking spinning class.

-- Constantly using a straw. Many dermatologists avoid straws all together. When you suck on the straw or water bottle top, you purse your lips and that leads to wrinkles and lines around your mouth.

-- Smoking. This is one habit we all know is bad for you on so many levels, and the impact it makes on your skin is just one more for the list. From causing wrinkles to the narrowing of blood vessels that prohibits oxygen and nutrients to flow, smoking is truly something to stop ASAP.

-- Switching skin products too often. The more you try new products, the more sensitive your skin becomes. In later years, this can lead to skin redness and more problems.

-- Cuddling too close to the fire. If you love crackling of the fire, be sure to keep at least 10-12 feet away. Being to close to the heat can breakdown collagen.

-- Being too stressed. When you are stressed, all sorts of stuff gets out of whack, including hormones that can cause acne or psoriasis. If you are stressed, be sure to be extra nice to your skin with soothing creams and masks.

Do you do any of these healthy skin offenders? What else do you avoid to keep your skin healthy?

©iStockphoto.com/ ppart     

by on May. 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on May. 7, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Uh oh!  Looks like I'm guilty of most of these in one way or another!

I'm doing a lot of 5ks this year (I'm currently signed up for 8 with one in debate with whether we can make it happen or not!  Two of those are mud runs. . .I do love the elliptical day to day though!

I prefer straws.  I have a lip ring and it can get in the way. . .

I used to smoke.  I'm a couponer and tend to use whats on sale and CHEAP!  I am BFFs with my heatiing blanket nearly year round.  I have three kids and I work.  STRESS!

Oops!

I do wash my face daily and use moisturizer.  I also wear sun screen and only wear makeup sparingly.  I also drink tons of water!

Numom61507
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2014 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I use a straw all the time. My teeth are super sensitive. My sisters, who never use straws, have more wrinkles than I do. 

sarahjz
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2014 at 7:46 AM

I don't think there is any way that I can give up straws...unless I drink everything at room temperature.  :/

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2014 at 7:55 AM

I never use a straw

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 8:02 AM

tyfs....i'm always stressed

liveforever
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Yay! I actually dont do any of these lol.

I use a straw every now and then...and usually only run with the dog or dd.

I try my best to stay out of the sun and always use spf. That seems to help too. Im almost 30 and no one ever guesses Im that old.

brittany208
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I'm good on all of these things except stress

la1118
by Laura on May. 7, 2014 at 9:01 AM
I love a good fire, but we don't have them often. The stress thing....they always say to reduce stress but how? It's not like I purposely have stress.
othermom
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Interesting I am quilty of a few of  these

slw123
by on May. 7, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Yaay for spin class!  I am an instructor, it's so much fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)