Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

If breastfeeding isn't shameful then why cover it up?

Posted by on May. 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM
  • 150 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you use these for your baby?

Options:

Adorable! I would use them.

Cute. But I would rather use a cover.

They're nice but I don't use any cover.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 38

View Results

I gotta be honest here. I really, really don't like nursing covers. Not just for myself, but for anyone. I know that sounds bad but it has nothing to do with modesty. I personally let it all hang out because that's my style but I totally get women who want to be more discreet. No, my issue with nursing covers is that they convey a sense of shame. It's this huge length of material that covers you from neck to knee, completely hiding the baby and what the baby's doing. "breastfeeding is great just hide under a tarp while you do it' Seeing them used enforces the belief that breastfeeding is something secretive and a little dirty. (Nothing else in a our culture is hidden like that except sex and bathroom business) That in turn makes it so much harder for those of us who choose not to cover our breasts.

Then I saw these! Nursing hats. I've used sun hats when my kids were little but I can see how they might not provide enough coverage for all mom's comfort so in come these.  "The great big brim of the MoBoleez gives moms a bit of privacy without covering-up the breastfeeding like it is some "big bad secret".  And here's a bonus - once baby is done nursing, she can continue to wear it as a sun hat!"

by on May. 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marchantmom06
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM
2 moms liked this
I think modesty is nice. Not everyone wants to look at breast while they are eating or shopping or everywhere they turn. If I want to see breast at dinner, I'll go to hooters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Super cute, but I don't cover :)
newbieann
by New Member on May. 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM
I just didn't want my boob hanging all out for everyone to see. If you like to, then so be it. But not everyone wants to
cabrandy03
by Brandy on May. 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
The nursing hat is pretty cute. I don't typically cover when nursing but I'm okay with those that do if it's for their own personal comfort. I hate to hear about mother's using covers for other people's comfort though, there is nothing shamful about feeding a baby the way that nature intended.
cabrandy03
by Brandy on May. 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Or you could just mind your own business and not look....

Quoting marchantmom06: I think modesty is nice. Not everyone wants to look at breast while they are eating or shopping or everywhere they turn. If I want to see breast at dinner, I'll go to hooters.
.Angelica.
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I see your point. I cover because i'm uncomfortable. the fact that I finally got to the point to be able to even nurse in public is huge. I wish our society didn't make moms feel like this.. I'm slowly getting over my fears. maybe this next baby i'll get to the point to be able to nurse without a cover.

Jamaicanmecrazi
by on May. 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I cover because I don't want my tits out in public, not because I'm ashamed I'm breastfeeding.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Who's making you look?

Quoting marchantmom06: I think modesty is nice. Not everyone wants to look at breast while they are eating or shopping or everywhere they turn. If I want to see breast at dinner, I'll go to hooters.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Whereismymind
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2014 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting cemcnair: Super cute, but I don't cover :)
paganbaby
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Me either. My guys are long since weaned but you know I might have used one of these if it was really sunny or something. 

Quoting cemcnair: Super cute, but I don't cover :)

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)