Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Family Summer Fun Challenge Day 2: Backyard Camp Out!

Posted by on May. 20, 2014 at 1:06 PM
  • 114 Replies

A fun way to spend time with your family is to go camping! Today challenge is to plan a backyard camp out! Not only will your little ones feel safe in the comfort of your backyard, but a bathroom will only be a few steps away!

Here are some ideas to consider when planning your camp out:

• Pack your backpacks, flashlights, sleeping bags, tent, food, drinks (and so on) as if you were going to an actual campground. Let everyone in your family chip in setting up your campsite.
  • Go on a nature walk or scavenger hunt through your neighborhood. Make a list of items like pine cones, interesting shaped rocks, something green, etc. Let your kids look around and have a blast finding all of the items.
  • After your scavenger hunt, turn the goodies collected into camping games like making leave rubbings (be sure to pack crayons and paper)and press leaves to make bookmarks. You can also make a tic tac toe board out of sticks and use rocks and leaves for the Xs and Os.
  • Once the sun goes down enjoy camping traditions including making s'mores, singing songs, and telling stories.

butterfly on head

Has your family ever gone camping together? Did you ever go as a kid?

One mom who participates in all 10 days of the challenge will be entered to win a $50 Target Gift Card!

Join Our Family Summer Fun Challenge Here!

by on May. 20, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baileymarie723
by Member on May. 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM
This sounds like a really fun idea, but unfortunately our backyard isn't big enough to pitch our tent, and still leave room for our dogs to go to the bathroom. We go camping one weekend in August every year, and sometimes we do one nighters. I think as a kid I only went camping once.
Juniper53098
by on May. 20, 2014 at 1:16 PM

My kids will camp at our local Relay for Life.  Maybe I'll even sleep this year!!!  My daughter and I also do a women's camping trip in the fall.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2014 at 1:17 PM

We have never gone actual camping, just backyard camping.  Just me and the girls, DH does not like camping at all.

skylosmommy2012
by New Member on May. 20, 2014 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Camping was my absolute favorite thing to do as a kid in the summertime. Unfortunately my son has never been camping (yet) he had cancer most of his life so his immune system was too compromised to even leave the house. We love in an apartment now so today's challenge may have to be in our living room :)
MizzSuzy
by on May. 20, 2014 at 1:20 PM
No we haven't gone as a family camping yet but I would love to. When I was younger I would sleep outside at my parents house, we would put up a tent. It was so much fun.
chicken13
by on May. 20, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

We love to go camping and go at least a couple of times a year.  

campingmomof4
by Member on May. 20, 2014 at 1:25 PM

We camp all the time.  We have a camper for years now.  When the kids were younger we did tent camping. 

Noni2319
by on May. 20, 2014 at 1:27 PM
We are planning to do that this summer.
Teen17mom
by New Member on May. 20, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Me and my son go camping a few times in the summer. As a child I only slept in a tent at a camp I went to as a teen.
.JuneDiva629.
by on May. 20, 2014 at 1:27 PM
What a fun idea. I would love to do this if we had all the stuff.My kids never been camping or never slept in a tent.Growing up I remember going camping all the time.My parent's had a pop up camper.And they also had a motor home. We never had a tent.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN