Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Family Summer Fun Challenge Day 7: Community Happenings!

Posted by on May. 27, 2014 at 10:47 AM
  • 92 Replies

Many communities have free or low cost fun family activities. Today's challenge is to check out the schedule of events in your community! Mark the events you'd like to attend on your calendar so your family doesn't miss out on any of the fun!

Here are some common community events to be on the lookout for:

• Free concerts
  • Summer Theater
  • Summer art in local parks
  • Arts and crafts fairs
  • Local festivals
  • Carnivals
  • Fireworks displays

family in the van

What are some local community activities you and your family enjoy? How do you usually find out about local events- the newspaper, online, word of mouth, or another way?

One mom who participates in all 10 days of the challenge will be entered to win a $50 Target Gift Card!

Join Our Family Summer Fun Challenge Here!

by on May. 27, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2014 at 10:52 AM

We go to the free pool sometimes, go to the fire works and some other activities

Bmat
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2014 at 10:59 AM

The local newspaper has activities listed. We like the community concerts and white elephant sales. :)

lapcounter
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM
We like the farmers market, we have art in the park, there is a huge festival that goes on in October.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jengo413
by on May. 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM
I haven't heard of any activities coming up but the library is probably the best place to find some. Def need to look into it so we can mark our calendar.
nova.mommy
by on May. 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM

There are several free concerts and craft shows we go to.  A place near by has free movies on the lawn(in a park) once a month or so.  The movies are not new, but are a fun night.

-Butterfly-
by on May. 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM

• Free concerts
  • Arts and crafts fairs
  • Local festivals
  • Fireworks displays

We also have discounted pool days on Sundays, and movie nights on Fridays.  The paper, online, and calendars that are put out

kerryket
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2014 at 11:08 AM
The community events are listed in several newsletters including a parenting one distributed locally, I used that all the time o find events to go to with my family. It is a good idea to transfer them to your calender, there were quite a few that I would completely forget about.
LadyJag
by on May. 27, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Our city has a spectacular fireworks display over the river on 4th of July and New Years Eve. We like to watch them from my hubby's workplace on the river, where there are no crowds.

Recently, we attended "One Spark," a community sponsored event for promoting people's ideas and invention. It was really interesting and fun. We also have various "home tours" throughout the year, which are self-guided. (We usually ride our bikes to each home on the tour to avoid all the traffic.)

Most of my event info comes from online sources or my FIL, who subscribes to the local paper.

ltlwlkr3
by Member on May. 27, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I usually check the newspaper for free community events in our area.

Ladyisis
by on May. 27, 2014 at 11:09 AM

These are great ideas! We have free summer concerts in local parks, free fireworks displays around the 4th of July, and local festivals and arts and craft fairs around here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN