Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

My dd Rachel graduated from M.A.G.I.C today at school

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 9:34 PM
  • 21 Replies

by on May. 15, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Congrats!

What is M.A.G.I.C.?
momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2014 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

The Sheriff’s Office unveiled its new and cost effective alternative to the D.A.R.E. program that had been taught in OrangeCounty’s elementary schools since 1986.  On November 9 Sheriff Demings formally announced the implementation of the agency’s Mentoring, Advising, Guiding, Instructing, and Children/Coaching (MAGIC) program.  The new curriculum was designed and developed entirely in-house by a committee of agency personnel assigned to the School Resource Officers Section who have significant experience working with youngsters and class room instruction.

Sheriff Demings cites a number of benefits to students and the taxpayers that the MAGIC program offers when compared with DARE.  It is, first and foremost, more cost effective.  The agency will be able to produce the student workbooks it designed at a cost savings of just over $5,500 a year.  Additional cost savings will be realized in the training and recertification of the MAGIC instructors.  Prior to MAGIC the agency was required to send its DARE instructors out of the area for training and recertification at a cost of about $1,000 per deputy and the training opportunities were limited to specific dates and sometimes conducted outside the state.  The “in-house” program allows the Sheriff’s Office to set its own training schedules and provide all of the necessary training in its own facilities.

But it is the students of OrangeCounty who will be the biggest beneficiaries of MAGIC.  The 10 week curriculum was developed to meet the specific needs and address issues specific to children in OrangeCounty.  The Sheriff’s Office worked closely with the Orange County School System and the University of Central Florida to create a curriculum relevant to OrangeCountyschool children.  Among the life saving, life skill lessons included in the program are drug abuse education, bullying and cyber bullying, and prescription drug abuse.  While the DARE program’s curriculum was rigid and did not allow for deviation from the lesson plan, MAGIC can be constantly tweaked and altered to address new issues and concerns when the need arises.

During 2009 the agency’s Elementary School Resource Officers taught 50,583 students within the county’s 78 elementary schools.  The DARE curriculum was taught to 7,980 county 5th graders.  In addition the SRO’s provided classroom instruction to kindergarten through 4th graders on gun safety, gang education, and other violence prevention and safety issues.

Whereismymind
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Awesome !
Whereismymind
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 10:52 PM
I remember dare ..... Drug abuse resistance education lol!

Quoting momofsixangels:

The Sheriff’s Office unveiled its new and cost effective alternative to the D.A.R.E. program that had been taught in OrangeCounty’s elementary schools since 1986.  On November 9 Sheriff Demings formally announced the implementation of the agency’s Mentoring, Advising, Guiding, Instructing, and Children/Coaching (MAGIC) program.  The new curriculum was designed and developed entirely in-house by a committee of agency personnel assigned to the School Resource Officers Section who have significant experience working with youngsters and class room instruction.

Sheriff Demings cites a number of benefits to students and the taxpayers that the MAGIC program offers when compared with DARE.  It is, first and foremost, more cost effective.  The agency will be able to produce the student workbooks it designed at a cost savings of just over $5,500 a year.  Additional cost savings will be realized in the training and recertification of the MAGIC instructors.  Prior to MAGIC the agency was required to send its DARE instructors out of the area for training and recertification at a cost of about $1,000 per deputy and the training opportunities were limited to specific dates and sometimes conducted outside the state.  The “in-house” program allows the Sheriff’s Office to set its own training schedules and provide all of the necessary training in its own facilities.

But it is the students of OrangeCounty who will be the biggest beneficiaries of MAGIC.  The 10 week curriculum was developed to meet the specific needs and address issues specific to children in OrangeCounty.  The Sheriff’s Office worked closely with the Orange County School System and the University of Central Florida to create a curriculum relevant to OrangeCountyschool children.  Among the life saving, life skill lessons included in the program are drug abuse education, bullying and cyber bullying, and prescription drug abuse.  While the DARE program’s curriculum was rigid and did not allow for deviation from the lesson plan, MAGIC can be constantly tweaked and altered to address new issues and concerns when the need arises.

During 2009 the agency’s Elementary School Resource Officers taught 50,583 students within the county’s 78 elementary schools.  The DARE curriculum was taught to 7,980 county 5th graders.  In addition the SRO’s provided classroom instruction to kindergarten through 4th graders on gun safety, gang education, and other violence prevention and safety issues.

cemcnair
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 10:57 PM
So, do you think it'll work?
TigerofMu
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I'm glad you explained what M.A.G.I.C. is!  Congratulations to her!

conweis
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Congrats!

virginiamama71
by on May. 16, 2014 at 11:05 AM

congratulations!!

paganbaby
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 11:34 AM

That sounds much better than DARE. I wonder of they're going to try it out here? I live in San bernardino county.

Quoting momofsixangels:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh and tell your dd I saidcongratulations

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)