Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Men gets Probation for Making His Son Walk Home

Posted by on May. 30, 2014 at 5:24 PM
  • 42 Replies

A Hawaii man has been sentenced to a year of probation after making his son walk a mile home from school.

Robert Demond was convicted of a misdemeanor charge of second-degree endangering the welfare of a minor.

Demond explained that his son had been involved in some sort of rule-breaking at school. When Demond picked him up, he asked about it, but his son refused to respond. Demond then stopped the car and told his son to walk to rest of the way home to think about what he had done, reports the Garden Island.

The judge, Kathleen Watanabe, ruled that the punishment was “old-fashioned” and inappropriate. She said that it is dangerous for children to walk alongside the road due to potential pedophiles. It was a form of punishment no longer supported by the community.

Demond was sentenced to a $200 fine and a year of probation. His son’s age was never revealed in court documents.

What do you think, do you think the dad was wrong in doing this? 

by on May. 30, 2014 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chattycassie
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2014 at 6:15 PM

What? A mile? my kid walks more than that to her city bus stop. That is stupid

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 30, 2014 at 6:17 PM

They just shut down more than half of the schools in chicago and because of this many children walk more than a mile to and from school . How is this a crime ? 

mamamedic69
by Deanna on May. 30, 2014 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't they have a mile they need to do in the physical fitness test for gym? So now the government is the parent!?! I just don't get it.
momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats just stupid

virginiamama71
by on May. 30, 2014 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Dad knows best.

conweis
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2014 at 8:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Damn if you do, damn if you don't. I am really starting to hate how the government dictates how people should parent their kids.
Whereismymind
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2014 at 10:19 PM
I agree completely

Quoting conweis: Damn if you do, damn if you don't. I am really starting to hate how the government dictates how people should parent their kids.
momofnatalie
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I know, I was shocked that they charged him with that. 

Quoting chattycassie:

What? A mile? my kid walks more than that to her city bus stop. That is stupid

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I know, I don't consider that child endangerment unless he dropped him in the middle of a busy highway, where there are no pedestrians.

Quoting Anonymous:

They just shut down more than half of the schools in chicago and because of this many children walk more than a mile to and from school . How is this a crime ? 

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM

I know I agree, at least he was parenting his child and was trying to get his son to understand that there are consequences to his behavior. 

Quoting conweis: Damn if you do, damn if you don't. I am really starting to hate how the government dictates how people should parent their kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN