Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Help Me Pick a Swimsuit!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 69 Replies

For a long time, I had one bathing suit, one lone suit. I purchased it when Kiddo first took swimming lessons and it was one of those Mommy and Me classes....so the age of that suit clocks in at about six years old. It's a one-piece, basic Speedo, kind of exercise lap suit. Modest, not really chic or cool. I feel okay wearing it, but it's definitely sagging and loosing a bit of elasticity here and there.

I finally purchased another suit last summer. Again, it's pretty basic, though a two-piece. Black bottoms, bandeau top with a removable strap. It's fine...just fine. I don't feel uber-confident in it. The bottoms hit me in a bit of a weird place. I mean, it is totally serviceable, but I don't feel at my best when wearing it, that's for sure.

So, what suit does a 41-year-old wear? And does my age even matter? It shouldn't, I know. What should matter? How I feel when I try on suits, which is the most unappealing shopping trip one makes, no? Right up there with, say, shopping for port-a-potties. Not that I've ever shopped for a port-a-potty, but I have to think it isn't that fun...but, at least when shopping for a port-a-potty, the fluorescent lights don't totally wreck your inner psyche.

Okay, I'm totally off on a tangent here...so let's get back to it. Swimsuits. What swimsuit should I even attempt to try on? I've read all of those guides about what suit you should wear depending on your body type and "problem zones" (seriously, such a horrible description, eh?). One thing I do want to avoid: those one-pieces with the skirts. Even though I'm not too thrilled with my upper thighs, I'm not there yet.

Currently, I'm eyeing a few tankinis. Whoever invented the whole mix-and-match swimsuit was genius (and, let's face it, probably a woman). Buying one size in bottoms and another in tops has made the whole experience a gazillion times better. I'm going shopping tomorrow...I need all of the advice I can get, friends!

What kind of swimsuit do you wear? Do you have a hard time finding suits you like? 

©iStockphoto.com/ markforce04 

by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
copperswifey
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 12:36 AM

I wont wear one and haven't in years :/

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jun. 4, 2014 at 12:37 AM
I have a very hard time finding a bathing suit I feel comfortable in. I'm a plus size and most just don't look or feel right.
blondiemomof2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM

I found a couple of 1 piece swimsuits that were alright this year. It took a while

celestegood
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:03 AM
I won't wear one, haven't in years, no reason to start now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
Feeling excited for the New Year! :)
Yesterday at 7:03 PM
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Not this year I didn't. I actually found 4 of them. 1 found at Costco's Club, and 3 found at Walmart. 

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

i love the retro 50s suits they have coming back! like full one piece with a bow at the top..sailor looking

Apr1l
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I just have trouble finding the style I like

la1118
by Laura on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM
It's got to be a one piece. Partly because of my body shape and partly because of my alabaster skin. I would go broke buying sunscreen if I had to cover almost my entire body, lol.
mrswillie
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
High waist bikinis are coming back also.

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

i love the retro 50s suits they have coming back! like full one piece with a bow at the top..sailor looking

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Do you go swimming?

Quoting copperswifey:

I wont wear one and haven't in years :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN