Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Opening birthday party presents?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

Just wondering, since I'm still pretty new to the children's birthday party scene - Do parents have strong feelings either for or against gifts being opened at children's birthday parties? In the past, we thought it would be more polite to open gifts right there at the birthday party. But I'm starting to wonder if this puts too much emphasis on the gifts and not the other communal aspects of the party. It is also a whole lot of stimulation. And also don't want to put anyone on the spot if they arrive without a gift or give a small gift. Has anyone had the experience of opening them after the party? I'm not even sure, is there any etiquette issues here? Are the gift givers disappointed not to see them opened?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM

We have family parties and open the gift with our family at the party

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

The givers like to see the reaction of the birthday kid... so at the party makes sense to me.

We never opened grandparent presents at kid parties, though. Family gifts were opened on the child's birthday, after dinner, with cake and visitors (aunts, uncles, grands, etc.)

Kids party invitations set a value limit on gifts, mostly because our kids were already completely snowed under in stuff, but also because I had no interest at all in replicating the most awful moment of a friend's young life: giving a friend a homemade, personal gift next to someone else who brought something worth hundreds of dollars...

GypsiSky
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Pretty much this for us as well.

Quoting LindaClement:

The givers like to see the reaction of the birthday kid... so at the party makes sense to me.

We never opened grandparent presents at kid parties, though. Family gifts were opened on the child's birthday, after dinner, with cake and visitors (aunts, uncles, grands, etc.)

Kids party invitations set a value limit on gifts, mostly because our kids were already completely snowed under in stuff, but also because I had no interest at all in replicating the most awful moment of a friend's young life: giving a friend a homemade, personal gift next to someone else who brought something worth hundreds of dollars...

MaineMammax2
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:14 PM
We open the gifts at the party. We have been to a few where it was just craziness and the time ran out and the gifts weren't opened and my daughters were dissapointed they didn't get to see the gift they brought get opened.
proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM
My family opens them with everyone there. Everyone loves seeing their gifts being opened and see what others give.
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
We open them towards the end if the party after lots of play/social time. I feel like it'd be rude to wait and do it after the guests leave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I think it depends on what you are comfortable with.  I've been to parties where the parents have their children open their presents after the party.  I don't mind it, I know that some families prefer that the child have a good time with their guests and not be obsessed with their gifts.  For my DD's we normally just have a family party so they open them up at the end.  

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 3:07 PM
We open at the party. Usually its done at all the parties I've been to as well
Mom2jngnc
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Family party: We open them as part of the party. 

Kid party: Well, ours we open as part of the party. 
I have been to places where the family has  opened gifts at the party and events where they haven't due to time. 
My kids like to see their friends face when they open the gift and honestly, that means more to me than a piece of paper saying thank you. 

la1118
by Laura on Jun. 9, 2014 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends on the type of party. If we have it at one of those places that has the party events on a strict schedule and they pretty much kick you out the door when your time is up, we would rather wait and open gifts at home so as not to feel even more rushed. If you don't have time constraints and it's not a huge party, it's fun to open them in front of the guests. Lately most of the parties we have been to do not open the gifts at the party.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)