Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Defining "Dad"

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies

When I ponder the words I associate with my dad, well, many pop into my mind, but if you could peek into my brain, the one that is in bold letters and flashing is Wisdom. He's given me so much wisdom, sprinkled in conversations over the years, from observing how he's lived his life, through little moments I've spied as he now plays with Kiddo...it is wisdom.

I see it when I watch my husband with Kiddo, too. There's something about dads and their kids. It is a different wisdom than moms dole out. Not sure how to describe that difference, but it is just, well, different. I know, I just used the word different three times in that sentence, but there's no word to plonk in there to really define that difference.

So, I am going to do what I normally do when I am out of words...I turn to those who have also thought about whatever topic I'm struggling with and quote them. These quotes on being a dad kind of sum it up.

"My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it" - Clarence Budington Kelland

"He promised us that everything would be okay. I was a child, but I knew that everything would not be okay. That did not make my father a liar. It made him my father." - Jonathan Safran Foer

"Being a great father is like shaving. No matter how good you shaved today, you have to do it again tomorrow." - Reed Markham

"There are three stages of a man's life: He believes in Santa Claus, he doesn't believe in Santa Claus, he is Santa Claus." - Author Unknown

"Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope." - Bill Cosby

"Be a dad. Don't be ‘Mom's assistant.' That's depressing, just waiting for her to write you a list, walk around a store staring at it, calling her from the cereal aisle to make sure you got the right thing. Be a man. Make your own list. Fathers have skills that they never use at home. You run a landscaping business and you can't dress and feed a 4-year-old? Take it on. Spend time with your kids and have your own ideas about what they need. It won't take away your manhood; it will give it to you. I did that. I spent more time with my kids. And I found out that I'm a pretty bad father. I make a lot of mistakes and I don't know what I'm doing. But my kids love me. Go figure." - Louis C.K.

What words pop into your mind when you think of dads? Do you have a favorite dad quote? 

©iStockphoto.com/jallfree              

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:20 AM
Tfs
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Gee! Depends on which father figure I think of!

Commands respect
Caring
Loving
Focused
Dad from birth till forever
Supportive no matter what
Actually does " dad" stuff

( my dad/ my husband)

A different definition goes toward to my older son's biological father.
celestegood
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:42 AM
Thank you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

These are all great, I especially like the one by Reed Markham. It never ends, once a father, always a father, even when the kiddos are fathers themselves.

wandep
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Thanks!

cemcnair
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 8:57 AM
:)
ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Entertainer, games, sports, outside, fix things, love

momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Wednesday at 10:42 PM
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:47 AM

strong,supportive,discipline

joeannaanthony
by New Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

"There are three stages of a man's life: He believes in Santa Claus, he doesn't believe in Santa Claus, he is Santa Claus." - Author Unknown

This quote is awesome and I agree with it very much. Fathers are there for you at all times whenever and wherever you need them. After mother's love it is father's care that the kids (of all age groups) need.

sarahjz
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM

I love Louis CK.  He seems like he would be a pretty good dad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)