Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Organizing Camp Mom!

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies

I am in planning mode, people. Like mega-big-time planning mode. Think calendars, research, label making, and three dry erase boards. Yes, it's The Camp Mom Scheduling Pow-wow. Those in attendance: me, myself and I...and now you all. The key to Camp Mom: having enough organization yet flexibility to make summer days interesting, semi-educational, and most of all, fun. Right, nothing like an easy task ahead, eh? 

I'm kind of brainstorming here, raining my thoughts down on the page, so to speak. Maybe if I toss it all out there, some sort of framework will magically appear. Sooooo, here are a few totally random ideas on what I'm planning for the rest of the summer with Kiddo: 

-- Gardening. Many an educator say this is a great long-term project for any kid, any family during the summer. Planting, tending to it, charting the growth, figuring ways to use what sprouts up are all fabulous hands-on elements that provide some cool discoveries. Okay, this is a little tough since we live in an apartment, but when we go to visit my parents, we can tackle some outdoor planting.

-- Become a "master." Pick something, anything, that you and the kids want to learn. A new language? Playing the piano? Knowing all of the 50 states and the capitals? Whatever it may be, make it a goal to complete by the time school rolls around and figure out times each day to work toward that goal. What are we going to master? I'm kind of digging the states idea.

-- Daily themes. Kids love routine, so I'm making one for my daughter for the days of the week. I'm thinking like Wonder Wednesday (where I have a bunch of crazy, cool, in-depth questions in a jar and she chooses one and we figure it out all day), Monday Makers (building, crafting, what have you), or Touring our Town Tuesday (where we head out somewhere in the city, to a museum or something).

-- Room Redo. Since Kiddo turned seven, she's outgrown her old room décor a bit (yeah, we still have up some stuff that was hanging in her nursery). I'm pondering that, together, we research some fun DIY projects to give her room a makeover. Not only will it fill the days, she can look at the finished product and feel accomplished in what she's done. 

What is on your Camp Mom schedule this summer? 

©iStockphoto.com/Krockodilius 

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Kids love routine?

I didn't as a kid, and neither of my kids ever did.

(they're grown and gone, but we homeschooled --nothing was different in the summer than the rest of the year except how much clothing was worn outside...)

Jukebox_Jenny
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this
We do a lot of activities at the library. They have stuff a few times a week for the kids to do. Plus the obvious books. :)
Linds2Horse
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:48 AM
I work FT so my son goes to camps. I planned all 10 weeks in April.
RobynS
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Summer reading program, t-ball for DD, tennis for DS, and all 3 of us are rehearsing for the Wizard of Oz (they're munchkins, I'm an Ozian and a poppy).

Apr1l
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Summer reading program swim lessons and random day trips to the beach
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whereismymind
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Basically this :)

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny: We do a lot of activities at the library. They have stuff a few times a week for the kids to do. Plus the obvious books. :)

Whereismymind
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM

I've always heard kids function better with a loose routine ... 

Quoting LindaClement:

Kids love routine?

(they're grown and gone, but we homeschooled --nothing was different in the summer than the rest of the year except how much clothing was worn outside...)

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I've heard that, too... what I've never found is a shred of evidence to back up the belief.

It's kind of like that whole 'sleep through the night' thing, that there is absolutely no evidence for...

Quoting Whereismymind:

I've always heard kids function better with a loose routine ... 

Quoting LindaClement:

Kids love routine?

ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Lots of parks and lots of time at the library.  Sadly, because I can't walk well from the Levaquin toxicity, many of my plans changed.

othermom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM

We do some things like swimming, going to the park, ect. But lots of down time too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN