Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Who Needs DIY Fourth of July Ideas?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 67 Replies

When I think of Fourth of July, I picture my sister and I in our backyard in Wichita Falls, TX (where I lived for a bit in my elementary school days). We would climb to the top of the slide by our pool and stand there, sparklers in hand, pretending to be the Statue of Liberty. Pretty hilarious, no?

I don't recall if my mom hung red, white and blue streamers around the patio or if Sis and I were dressed in patriotic dresses. I kind of doubt we were, but it didn't matter. These days, it seems everywhere you turn, there's a cute flag dress or an adorable table runner to add a holiday zip to your look or your entertaining. But, you can do a lot of stuff yourself too. Check out these little Fourth of July crafty décor goodies I spotted!

DIY Flag Shirts for the Kids from Look What I Made

All you need to get this craft going: a white tank top or t-shirt (one for each of the kiddos), blue and red fabric paint, and a craft foam paintbrush. Have each kid put blue-painted left handprints on the upper left of the shirt, then you add the red stripes (you can also use your thumb if you want instead of the paintbrush). Let them dry overnight, and they are ready to go for the weekend parties!  

Bean-Bag Toss Game from Chica and Jo

Not only cute décor on the lawn, but it keeps the little ones busy while you chat with the neighbors. The folks at Chica and Jo have a step-by-step guide, but you just sew up some beanbag squares and paint terra cotta saucers you find at Target or the craft store with any festive design and scoring system you want to - and bam! - a fun game to play everyday, not just at the party. 

Festive Paper Lanterns from Martha Stewart

Just grab some of those Chinese lanterns at the craft store and any type of tissue and crepe paper you want. Madame Martha added stars to hers, but you can do anything really with glue and tie the crepe paper to the bottom to provide some more pizzazz. You can keep them up all summer long!

Fireworks Centerpiece from Martha Stewart

This centerpiece idea is so easy - Martha has all of the details on her site to create this fabu table decor, but you just get some paper pom-poms and glue them onto skewers. Place them in a few mason jars filled with sand and you are done. (Plus they can act as weights for those napkins that always seem to blow away in the wind!)

Share your best DIY Fourth of July decor ideas!

©iStockphoto.com/ Catherine Lane 

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linds2Horse
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this
We decorate my son's bike with streamers and stars. Then he rides it in my mom's neighborhood parade.
proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Cute stuff!
graycalico
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 1:53 AM
Love these ideas! I'm remaking my daughter's tutu from watermelon red/green to red white and blue. We're decorating the wagon and walking in a small parade Thursday
lil_mama06
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:43 AM

Great ideas....Mostly just hang streamers and whatever 4th of july stuff I can find at the dollar tree..

johnny4ever
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:24 AM

We made tshirts!

wandep
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Those are cute.

liveforever
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Quoting Linds2Horse: We decorate my son's bike with streamers and stars. Then he rides it in my mom's neighborhood parade.

Oh thats a good idea! The parade in our town is huge and its hard to find parking. Dh was talking about riding our bikes down this year. Dd would love to do that.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I love the tshirts!  I buy patriotic tshirts every year, but this would be a really fun activity...it could even be something we do with our Friday night fun kids.

sarahjz
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Cute ideas!

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Thank you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)