Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Should You Send Your Kids to Sleep-Away Camp?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:58 PM
  • 63 Replies

It's a hotly debated topic among parents: is sleep-away camp a good or bad thing for kids? Is it an opportunity for kids to grow up, or a traumatic event that could leave emotional scars?

by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM

scarring them for life? That's a little extreme. I read that in France, kids as young as 3 go away to summer camps. I'm not sending my kids that little, but if they wanted to go when older, sure.

wandep
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't do camps. Cost too much.

RobynS
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

We'll see... I'll have to learn to be less of a helicopter mom first. ;)

DS is going to scout camp for 4 days/3 nights, but DH is going with him. I think we have 10 scouts and 8 dads going, so they will be well-supervised.

copperswifey
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM

My sister and I went to horse camp when we were young and stayed weeks at a time. I loved it and they are some of my best memories growing up. If my kids wanted to do it, I would let them :) 

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I would if my dd wanted to go. I know she would have a blast! But maybe I should add my dd is a bit older and has been going to summer camp for years. She technically doesn't Need anyone to take care of her. She doesn't need help at camp, she's more helpful at camp. She'd love to be a junior camp counselor.

Apr1l
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:27 AM
I think it's a fun experience for kids as long as you've had the talk,with thwm about all the safety things
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Agreed!

Quoting wandep:

We don't do camps. Cost too much.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Too expensive for us anyway!

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a fan for many reasons.  But, I think it really depends on the age of the child as well as the emotional level of the child.

emkirkley
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I think it depends on the child.  We build a camp fund into our budget and the church we go to does fund raisers to help pay for part of the cost.  Our oldest, 12.5, just left yesterday for Centrifuge Camp until Saturday.  She started going to sleep-away church camps at 8.5 and day camps for soccer (gone from 8-5) at 6.5.  Next year she'll be doing a couple camps more than she did this year if she gets her act together and does the fundraisers, if not it will just be the one big summer camp that she makes it to, I have two other children that deserve to get to do things too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)