Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Scaredy Kid

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 65 Replies

For many families, the 4th of July was all about barbeques, being outside and, of course, watching fireworks. I happen to love a good fireworks show, especially if it is paired with a blanket on the ground, a picnic basket and a glass of something cold and bubbly.

Sounds nice, right?

Well, yes, but it was also not how I spent my 4th as I currently have a small child who is abjectly terrified of fireworks. My darling child can’t even watching them on TV without getting scared and immediately diving into my armpit for protection. So, we spent this 4th inside watching the Lego movie and eating popcorn while hoping our neighborhood wouldn’t have any jerks that plan to set off fireworks all night long.

Even though my kiddo has never been to a fireworks show, I can understand the fear. They can be loud and startling, especially for someone who doesn’t quite understand how they work. Kid fears are kind of an interesting phenomenon to me. Sometimes they make logical sense and sometimes they seem so out of left field, like my daughter’s current fear of the broom (she also hates the vacuum, which is in the “loud and startling” category so I can understand that, but the broom?) or my son’s past fear of umbrellas.

I feel like there is always a fine line between wanting to help your children face their fears, especially when those fears seem silly, and taking their fears seriously. I know that the broom is not going to hurt Evelyn but I also know her fear is totally genuine to her and that she is sincerely scared when I pull it out to sweep the floor. As with most behaviors I puzzle over related to the kids, I know that she’ll eventually outgrow this fearful stage (she is also currently scared of kittens, the garage door, the blender, and the Dust Buster) as she makes more sense of the world, but I do sometimes wonder if there is more I can or should do to help her feel brave.

What are your kids afraid of? How do you help them when they are afraid?

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graycalico
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 12:07 AM
My son was terrified of the vacuum. He has sensory problems we know of now, but then I just thought it was normal. I'd stash him in another room with someone while I vacuumed. Eventually I could hold him on my hip and now he's fine. I let my kids face their fears when they're ready and on their own terms, giving them encouragement and not belittling them.
celestegood
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:34 AM
Oh, first was loud noises. Second kiddo-not sure! Nothing yet. Third and fourth are the same. Boys are something else!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miranda1127
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:11 AM

dd....nothing. ds....everything. He is getting better though. It was nice to finally go out for the 4th and hear him say WOW...that was a great show!

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:17 AM
My youngest dd doesn't like loud noises, crowds etc but she is getting better and is learning coping skills.

She like fireworks if she is prepared for them like at shows but not in neighborhood all night.
HotSouthernMess
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:33 AM
My kids aren't afraid of much. Mostly just things like spiders lol
MomMomMomMama
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:35 AM

My 2 1/2 year old is terrified of leaves....yes, leaves.  He's afraid of my husbands little toy airplane.   He also almost never slides down slides in the sitting position - he almost always turns around an goes on his belly feet first - even really small slides.   And for whatever reason, he hates the shower (loves baths, loves the pool, loves sprinklers - but the shower is scary.   He

loves fireworks and he giggles at lightning and thunder.  He brings mommy "buggies" all the time.   

My DS (age 12) was afraid of pinecones for the longest time - we'd put them in drawers that he wasn't supposed to get into and that stopped him cold.  He'd open it and close it without a word and not go back.  My youngest though - if you put a leaf in there, he'll run and demand you take it out or talk about it non-stop.  

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:56 AM
Ds is afraid of spiders also.

Quoting HotSouthernMess: My kids aren't afraid of much. Mostly just things like spiders lol
mrswillie
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Leaves...wow.

Quoting MomMomMomMama:

My 2 1/2 year old is terrified of leaves....yes, leaves.  He's afraid of my husbands little toy airplane.   He also almost never slides down slides in the sitting position - he almost always turns around an goes on his belly feet first - even really small slides.   And for whatever reason, he hates the shower (loves baths, loves the pool, loves sprinklers - but the shower is scary.   He

loves fireworks and he giggles at lightning and thunder.  He brings mommy "buggies" all the time.   

My DS (age 12) was afraid of pinecones for the longest time - we'd put them in drawers that he wasn't supposed to get into and that stopped him cold.  He'd open it and close it without a word and not go back.  My youngest though - if you put a leaf in there, he'll run and demand you take it out or talk about it non-stop.  

celestegood
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, I forgot my four year old is afraid of monsters. We made monster spray :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Strange noises, animals, bugs, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN