Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Raising Boys vs Raising Girls

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies

We just spent a few days at the beach home of a family we know. They have a daughter the same age as Kiddo and a son one year older. They invited us and two other families to hang for a few days - the other families have boys of various ages...so, obviously, we had a full house of kids and adults, playing in the pool, hitting the beach, and eating yummies from the grill.

All of our kids are "good" kids...good kids with some of those moments, of course. I have to say, it was interesting to be in a house with boys. As a writer, I find myself just watching at times, taking in interactions -- those with words and those that were just physical.

It's been said over and over boys are different than girls. The whole "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" idea isn't all that off. Biologically, hormonally, all of the above, we are different. Not that I didn't notice this before this past week, I just never hung out 24-7, days on end with boys. I had a sister, no brothers, no boy cousins that lived nearby to be like brothers.

In watching these families of boys, I was keenly into the question that rumbled in my brain: Is raising boys different than raising girls? We've all read more than we need to on gender-specific kids issues, how being a parent of a (insert boy or girl here) is harder/easier/more intense/crazier/whatever the author wants to spout...and I can see some ways where it may be different, but at the heart of it, if you are raising boys or girls, we are all raising people right? Individual, one-of-a-kind, with different needs and personalities no matter what gender people. We are all trying to arm them with knowledge and goodness of heart and confidence...and I could go on and on.

But, this week here at Mad Life, we are focusing on boys. Yeah, we'll be chatting about the upbringing of the guys, the parenting element in navigating the boy world...but so much of this, I think, can be for those of us with little gals too.

Do you think raising boys is different than raising girls? Do you have boys or girls...or both?

©iStockphoto.com/ canada96

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:09 AM
I only have girls so I can't really compare.
graycalico
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I have both. I find they are all different regardless of gender. I treat each child individually based on their needs
momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:46 AM

I only have girls but they are active and get into so much stuff, family member say that they remind them of little boys.  I try to get them outdoors and time to play and run.  They behave better when they get out and burn off their energy.

jellyphish
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:23 AM
I have two girls. I wouldn't know what to do with a boy. But even the difference between these sisters is astronimcal. I mean really, they couldn't be more different! I feel like a ftm all over again!
I have nephews so I have see boys, I know they exist, but I really can't speak beyond that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meanolduglyoldm
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:50 AM
3 moms liked this
I raised 4 boys and jokingly say I lost all my girly girl a long time ago. It was difficult for me to communicate with daughter in laws, since I was use to being direct in.order to be understood. I now have 8 gdaughters and I have concluded while boys are nosier, dirtier they don't get their feelings hurt or have pms...so I will take boys ver girls to raise.
NicLof2
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:38 AM
I have 2 boys and they are so much fun! I love raising little boys but now we have this baby girl on the way and I'm so scared because I don't know how to raise a little girl but I can't wait. I know it's gonna be nothing like my crazy boys but it's going to be fun in it's own way.
liveforever
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:01 AM

I only have a girl, but most of our close friends have boys (who are dds friends).

I have to say, boys seem to "tough it out" more. The girls get upset waaaaay easier, or cry when they get hurt...even if its something small.

The boys get hit in the face with a ball, get knocked down, fall off of things, and get right back up like nothing happened.

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:56 AM

i'm sure it is different, i have all girls

virginiamama71
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I only have a son and think it is different.

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:10 AM

I only have boys, so I can't compare the two

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)