Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Is co-sleeping (bed sharing) actually illegal?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 189 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have a friend who is being investigated by CPS for not having a bed for her 16 month old (they bed share, it's a waste of space in a small apartment).

Is bed sharing actually illegal?!?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chattycassie
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I have no idea. I am sure each state has laws around this.

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:44 PM
7 moms liked this
No, it's not illegal. CPS can't take her child for that and honestly I don't think they'd even come out for a welfare check for that alone. Whoever made the report must have had other concerns. As long as there isn't any other issues, I'd tell your friend not to worry about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Any idea how I can find out?

Quoting chattycassie:

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:53 PM
4 moms liked this

If that was the case, then lots of parents would be investigated.  I don't think CPS has the manpower to investigate every family that cosleeps.  There must have been some other underlying factors that brought them out. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this
They told her that since she didn't have a bed for the baby, they had to open an investigation. I'm not sure who made the initial call or what the claim was, just that when the CPS officer went to the home and saw no separate bed, they opened a full investigation :(

Quoting cabrandy03: No, it's not illegal. CPS can't take her child for that and honestly I don't think they'd even come out for a welfare check for that alone. Whoever made the report must have had other concerns. As long as there isn't any other issues, I'd tell your friend not to worry about it.
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Pfft. No. But I know in AZ there's a law stating there has to be at least one bedroom for kids, no one bed room apartments allowed for a parent and child. But illegal co sleeping? No.

Why was cps called? I imagine she could get in trouble for sleeping with babe while intoxicated, but if she is there's a whole can of worms right there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM
Yeah, just co sleeping can't get her in trouble, unless there's a law that babe needs his own bed. I've heard adoptive parents talk about being required to have a separate bed so they set up a p&p, but continue to co sleep.

Quoting Anonymous: They told her that since she didn't have a bed for the baby, they had to open an investigation. I'm not sure who made the initial call or what the claim was, just that when the CPS officer went to the home and saw no separate bed, they opened a full investigation :(

Quoting cabrandy03: No, it's not illegal. CPS can't take her child for that and honestly I don't think they'd even come out for a welfare check for that alone. Whoever made the report must have had other concerns. As long as there isn't any other issues, I'd tell your friend not to worry about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chattycassie
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Google?

Quoting Anonymous: Any idea how I can find out?
Quoting chattycassie:

proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it is... but I'm not sure since I don't do it.
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Of course not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)