Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Small Social Skills with Big Payoffs

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 62 Replies

I've been doing some worksheets with Kiddo this summer - honing in on her math skills a bit. It's not her strongest area in school and we are trying to help her get a little faster with those fact families. I find I get caught up in these kind of tangible things to teach her. The concrete 2+2=4 ideas are much easier to reinforce and tackle than others, but this week's whole respect/chivalry topic has me thinking of other manners we need to work on.

Overall, my kid is a good kid (I'm always reminded of the Pinterest poster that reads: "When trying to raise a good kid, don't ignore the one you already have"). It's true, she is a great kid, but there are still some social skills that need a bit of attention, just like subtracting three-digit numbers.

What are they? Here's a little list:

-- Acting like a guest at someone's house. We go over to her BFF's home so often, it does feel like a second home, but that doesn't mean that it is...being mindful of that takes a little effort when a playdate is underway.

-- Having proper interaction with adults. I've been working a lot with her on having good conversations with adults. When do I do this the most: in the elevator in our building. Knowing how to have a small conversation, a back-and-forth, is important.

-- Staying at the table after she's finished eating. We are a small family and don't often eat together because of wonko work schedules, so when we do find ourselves at the dining table, having her remain at the table until excused is a big good habit to get going.

-- Having positive reaction to "boring" gifts. She's a reader and she's growing, which means we are always in need of books and clothes...but those don't make the most exciting presents. Being aware of gratitude within that moment is tough (even for some adults!).

-- Writing thank you notes. I remember sitting there, during holiday break from school, at least one afternoon, doing thank you notes. It's a lost skill and not everyone agrees it's a necessary skill, but I want Kiddo to know the value of writing a letter of appreciation.

What little manners are you focused on with your kiddos these days?

©iStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM
Getting them to say yes/no ma'am/sir and please and thank you.
brittany208
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:12 AM
asking with nice manners, waiting your turn to talk/not interrupting
LaniBee
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Being helpful without having to be asked

sarahjz
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:51 AM

The last three that you listed, as well as not interrupting.  

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Please and Thank You, Not interrupting people when they are speaking is a big one.  I have a friend who stutters, and sometimes when she is struggling for a word, people will think it is alright to just jump in and start talking, and I am trying to teach my kiddos to pay attention and not walk all over other people (and hoping that some insensitive adults around get that message too).

johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Yesterday at 8:35 AM
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Being courteous towards Family & Friends.We are on him alot for hand washing.

othermom
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Please and thank you are important, being polite, writing thank you notes

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Please and thank you

Not interrupting

Good deeds like throwing away litter

Not walking in front of people.The Little is getting good at this- she'll stand right in someone's way and say "go ahead!" It makes trips to the crowded grocery store fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:11 AM

making sure they remember to say please and thank you

Whereismymind
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Saying please and thank you
Table manners
No interrupting
Being respectful to all people
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)