Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Mom says cops kicked her out of concert for breastfeeding

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:19 PM
  • 27 Replies

PD: Mother Kicked Out of Concert Pit for Having Baby in Pit Area

Officers feared the mother was putting her infant in danger, while the mother believes the ousting may have had more to do with her breastfeeding in public

A mother with an infant strapped to her chest was kicked out of a country music concert in San Diego after officers told her she was in the pit area much too close to speakers amid a large crowd, endangering her baby.

The mother herself caught the confrontation on video at the Brad Paisley concert at Sleep Train Amphitheatre on Thursday. She identified herself asMegan Christopherson, 30, in the 10-minute clip posted to YouTube.  The video has since been removed.

Both the mother and Chula Vista Police Department (CVPD) officers have differing accounts of why she was booted from the venue.

According to the CVPD, concert security reported Christopherson was in the pit area near the stage several feet away from the speakers. As seen in the mother’s video clip, a security officer approached the woman and asked her to move from the pit area due to possible danger to the baby.

Officers said the child could have been crushed from a potential crowd surge or could’ve been impacted by the loud noise coming from the nearby speakers.

“Your child doesn’t have hearing protection on. The crowd is going to start surging forward. Where you’re at, your child could get crushed,” a security officer told the mother on the video. “We’re afraid of your child’s eardrums being hurt.”

Christopherson argued that her 4-month-old baby Gracie, who was fast asleep, was fine. She said she had recently taken the infant to another concert at the venue and experienced no problems with security.

The security officer continued to inform the mother of the dangers posed to her child if she remained in the pit.

Christopherson was then given two options: to be relocated to a seated area in the amphitheater free of charge, or to leave and receive a full refund on her concert ticket.

Ultimately, the mother chose the refund and left the venue.

However, Christopherson argued she had been targeted by security for breastfeeding her baby in public at the concert, not necessarily for being in the pit, and wondered if that was the reason she was ousted.

In the video, the mother told the security officer that other security personnel had allegedly told her to stop breastfeeding her child due to complaints from fellow concertgoers.

“A security guard came and took a picture of me,” the mother said.

However, the officer insisted, “This has nothing to do with breastfeeding.”

The CVPD agreed. “The Chula Vista Police Department’s involvement in the incident was due to the welfare and safety of the infant and not due to a mother’s legal right to breastfeed in public," it said in a statement released Friday.

Still, one of Christopherson's friends told NBC 7 the woman was asked to stop breastfeeding because it was "making others uncomfortable."

Read more here

by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conweis
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM

People try to compare the concert to a rock concert. Most country concerts are more subdued and not overly crazy. I don't know how I feel about this cause I have never been to a concert so I don't know how loud they can get but from what I read she said her baby was fine and even sleeping when she was in the pit.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM

That's what I'm thinking too. I've been to a concert before and it got pretty crazy bbut this was a county concert for Bobssake. I think they made a big deal out of and/or were just trying to cover their ass.

Quoting conweis:

People try to compare the concert to a rock concert. Most country concerts are more subdued and not overly crazy. I don't know how I feel about this cause I have never been to a concert so I don't know how loud they can get but from what I read she said her baby was fine and even sleeping when she was in the pit.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

jellyphish
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Was the child allowed to be in the pit? If so, they had no business removing her. If they have a policy against infants in the pit, mom should've moved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahjz
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Hmmmm...not sure what to think on this one.  Why'd they let her in, in the first place if they were worried about the infant's hearing?  Why does the security guard have the authority to move her when she's done nothing wrong?

proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not really sure how to feel about this. I think they were just worried about the babies hearing honestly and she wants to turn it into more. Maybe I'm wrong..
Whereismymind
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:29 PM
This

Quoting jellyphish: Was the child allowed to be in the pit? If so, they had no business removing her. If they have a policy against infants in the pit, mom should've moved.
usndolphin
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

asking her to leave the pit area had nothing to do with the breastfeeding, since she was not doing it there.  she could have went back to her seat. No,I havent seen moshing in the pit area of a country concert, but it does get pretty wild. An officer felt it was not a safe area for her baby.   I guess she felt everyone else should leave so she could have it all to herself.  policy may not exactly say babies, but officers do have to make judgement calls.  People are asked to go back to their seats quit often. Usually they are in that falling down drunk stage. She had a choice to go back to her seat or leave.  very simple. Now if she was asked to leave while breastfeeding, than she has a true complaint.  and if she has witnesses to asking her to stop breastfeeding , than yes she should make a stink about that. 

othermom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like she was kicked out for being so close to the speakers with a young child and they were worried

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Where did she say that?

Quoting usndolphin:

asking her to leave the pit area had nothing to do with the breastfeeding, since she was not doing it there.  she could have went back to her seat. No,I havent seen moshing in the pit area of a country concert, but it does get pretty wild. An officer felt it was not a safe area for her baby.   I guess she felt everyone else should leave so she could have it all to herself.  policy may not exactly say babies, but officers do have to make judgement calls.  People are asked to go back to their seats quit often. Usually they are in that falling down drunk stage. She had a choice to go back to her seat or leave.  very simple. Now if she was asked to leave while breastfeeding, than she has a true complaint.  and if she has witnesses to asking her to stop breastfeeding , than yes she should make a stink about that. 

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

usndolphin
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I was not quoting her as saying it, I guess  was me stating an opinion. She was very admit that she knew best.  If an officer told me an area was unsafe for my baby I would be inclined to believe him.  His safty vest said police, and imagine this wasnt his firt 'rodeo'.  on a side note.. When my son was three I took him to disney. We were at Pleasure Island where they do New years eve every night ( not there anymore ).  A security officer told me the area I was in with the stroller wasnt a safe idea. When the stuff starts (the bar that was right there) usually the wild crazy college kid drunks will come running out.  I thanked him for informing me and started to move to a new place.  He then said hey come this way and brought me to a roped off area that people paid extra to be in.  I imagine my smile and being polite was a big factor in this .  But yes I was trusting his judgement since this was his job. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Where did she say that?

Quoting usndolphin:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)