Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Classic Summer Fun

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 57 Replies
1 mom liked this

We were sitting in my neighbor's backyard during a neighborhood ice cream social, slapping at mosquitos and drinking wine, when the first flickering lights were seen. Suddenly all the children, who had been hiding from their parents inside (probably fighting for control of an iPad or video game machine), came bursting out of the house, sticky fingers clutching glass jars or plastic jugs.

"I see one! I see one!"

"No, over there! There!"

"I got one! Look, look!"

The fireflies had come out and for the next hour the kids raced around the backyard, getting sweaty and laughing as the night was lit up by those slow but bright flying bugs.

As the parents supervised the catch and release program- and saved more than one bug from being squished to "see what is in the butt"- I couldn't help but think that it was so nice to see that some classic moments of my childhood still happen now. All the technology in the world and kids are still fascinated by the fireflies on a summer night...I love that.

It reminds me that there are a few other kind of old fashioned or at least very low tech things from my childhood that I've been delighted to see that my son loves as much as I did. He is, for example, currently digging a huge hole in the dirt in our backyard. He hasn't yet told me he plans to get to China, as was my aim back in my hole digging days, but he is happy to spend hours working on it. He also loves going on walks around the block to look for bugs, worms and garter snakes, which I did too when I was a kid. I've even got him learning some of my favorite childhood games, likes the card game war, dominoes, and Pick Up Sticks.

Don't get me wrong, is still obsessed with Minion Rush on my phone and with watching Lego videos on my iPad, but I'm happy that some of the classic childhood moments endure.

Do your kids do or play any of the same things you did when you were little?

by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sanj1213
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Oh yes. My son loves to play hide n seek. Also can stay outside for hours playing with the water hose. We haven't seen any fireflies yet, can't wait for that one. I know he'll love to catch a few of them. He enjoys digging in the dirt as well. Dh said he's going to teach him how to play dominoes.
PennOhioBabe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:17 AM
Yes they love catching lighting bugs, making mud pies, playing hide and seek or tag.
kerryket
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:53 AM
Yes, my kids do a lot of the things we did when we were young.
kellynh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Love it when they do stuff like I did. Brings back so many fond memories!

elasmimi
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 7:57 AM

No, and we have very few fireflies, or "lightening bugs" as we called them when I was a kid. Wonder why?

LaniBee
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:42 AM

My girls did a lot of the same things I did as a child: playing on the swingset in the backyard, swimming, riding bikes around the neighborhood, jump rope & hula hoops and chasing the ice cream truck!

strictmomhere
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:46 AM
No fireflys here but they love ing outsidr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
They love tag
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
Hide and seek
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
They jump on the trampoline
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)