Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

His Favorite Body Part

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 68 Replies

You know what I talk about way (WAY) more than I ever thought I would before I had kids?

Penises.

You see, I have a six year old boy and my six year old boy came equipped, as is standard, with a penis. Now, as a person who does not have a penis, I really failed to consider just how fascinating these small appendages can be. I didn’t realize we’d have to have rules regarding penises. Like, for example, when my son had two friends over to play and I found myself saying “We don’t hit people in the penis in our house, even if he asked you to do it”.

We also have the “no penises at the dinner table” rule and the “you can do that, but you need to be in private” rule and the “point that thing DOWN when you sit on the potty” rule…all things I never thought I’d have to say.

I’m also surprised at how much the penis talk has resulted in my two year old daughter having a rather flawed understanding of her own equipment, as evidenced by the following conversation:

Her, during a diaper change: “Where my penis go?”

Me: “You don’t have one. Only boys have a penis.”

Her: “It hiding in my diaper? It sneaky?”

Me: “Sweetie, no, you don’t have a penis. Bobo and Dada have one because they are boys and girls are different”

Her (crying): “Bobo took my penis! Bobo take it and hide it.”

I tried to explain to her that her brother did not steal any body parts from her, but, given how much they play the “I got your nose!” game, she wasn’t buying it.

We’ll keep working on the penis=private concept and I’ll assume that in time he’ll be too modest to want to pretend his penis is puppet that talks to me through his pants (please let this be true).

Do other mothers of boys also find themselves dealing with penis talk all the time or is my kid just a weirdo?

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Aww  .. I remember well how my sons world revolve around their penis ..

It does change/get better in time :)

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Too funny.  I have two brothers.  Both younger than me.  One three years and the other six years.  We bathed together as kids.  I don't remember this fascination/obsession with penises when they were little.  

graycalico
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:23 AM
My nephew used to tell people my sister was broken. Lol
Linds2Horse
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:36 AM
Penis talk is big in our house. I just don't get it
marchantmom06
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:41 AM
My 5 boys never had this problem. I guess maybe when you have a bit of class and raise your kids to respect themselves you don't have kids running around hitting their friends with their private parts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:33 AM

It's normal. A huge proportion of his sensory nerves end there, of course it's a focus of attention...

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:10 AM
My four yr old has asked me where mine was as apparently this is something he's noticed through my underwear ( no bulge for mom)

I just told him the same kind if thing... Because I'm a girl ( you're not a girl, you're a mommy! Sigh)

I finally equated it to belly buttons... Innies and outies. Boys have penises .... Kind of like some people have outie belly buttons and girls have what they pee from hidden a bit , like an "innie" belly button . I then said " but just like innie and outtie belly buttons, we do not point at or ask questions to other people, including friends about their body parts or talk about our except with mom or dad because it could accidentally upset someone pretty bad. .... This then led to quick " no touch/ no one touches you " blurb.
brittany208
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:57 AM
you are definitely not alone
Leelee1008
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM

LOL yeah my boys are older and more vaulger about their words for their neither regions ( not that bad but still enough to make me shudder) One of my kids said OUch you hit me in the balls.... My daughter who is 3 asked me where her balls were.... SIGH

jellyphish
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:24 AM
No boys. My girls are curious and explorative about their vaginas, but definitely not to this extent. Biggie was excited when she learned about the penis though. She grabbed daddy in the middle of a crowded store and shouted "that's your penis!" She never did that with any girl parts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)