Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Would love your opinion. Over-reacting or not?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies

You're at a family get together and everyone is admiring your baby (six months old) because they havent seen her since birth. An aunt offers to hold her while you make yourself a plate of dinner.

You go make your plate and come back into the dining room to find your baby sucking on a spoon of Cool Whip that the aunt gave her.

So how would you react to the situation? Would you be just a little peeved, it's not gonna kill her? Seriously mad? Or somewhere in between?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2014 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lapcounter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 7:56 AM
I would tell her to please not do it again, that's not what we feed our child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd simply deal with it politely... Maybe pick a better choice ( like husband , mom, whatever the next you need to step away out if site. But I'm not going to cause a scene or even get mad, really... Especially if I left no "instructions"

My in laws do not put my younger son to bed on my/ his time schedule when he stays over, it sucks getting back into a routine for two days after. People will always give babies food you either know or deem for yourself is not allowable. They just do, it's cute... And they got to do it first.
That's family. They all do it and they will call you uptight ir whatever if you don't let it slide.

It sucks, but family NEVER asks permission to feed or do something new with YOUR child. They feel they have a right...a stake in the child.

One can seethe about it in the car on the way home, but I would not stomp my feet and freak out infront on the gathering ( and she'd be off my list as a babysitter for quite awhile.)

However, as a new mother or on your fourth, someone will not know or care about the way you run your household and children... They will do what they want, unless it's life threatening, I'd just count in my head unless I could breathe again and swoop babe back into your own arms.
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I would b upset but I wouldn't throw a fit just politely ask for not to do that again and not let her have baby alone for a while
Maries_Mom23
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I would politely explain to her that we don't feed our child that, please don't do it again.  Based on her reaction, I may or may not leave her alone with baby for a while.  If she got all nasty and defensive, I'd keep baby with me.  

jellyphish
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM
I'd be really mad and explain that she doesn't eat food, much less pure sugar. I'd explain she just ruined her virgin gut and ask if she wants to deal with any pending tummy aches and ridiculous poop. I'd take the baby back and tell her she needs to check with me before she does something stupid like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM
To clarify, I'd be most upset that she fed her sugar without checking with me, I find that extremely disrespectful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4kidsrock2
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

When my oldest, now 20, was 2 months old my mom thought it would be cool to let him suck on a gummy worm. She held one end and put the other end in his mouth and he sucked it right out of her hand and swallowed the entire thing. She was hysterical. She was sure he was going to choke to death and die. It took me forever to calm her down. My son was fine and my mom never fed him another thing without asking me first, lol. I wouldn't even blink an eye at a spoon of coolwhip but I probably wouldn't leave the baby unattended with that aunt again without a few ground rules.

conweis
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:29 AM

My SO was letting the baby suck on a "Mike and Ike" when he was around two months old and the baby sucked it out of his fingers but pushed it back out (breast fed). Freaked my SO out. He never did that again.

Quoting my4kidsrock2:

When my oldest, now 20, was 2 months old my mom thought it would be cool to let him suck on a gummy worm. She held one end and put the other end in his mouth and he sucked it right out of her hand and swallowed the entire thing. She was hysterical. She was sure he was going to choke to death and die. It took me forever to calm her down. My son was fine and my mom never fed him another thing without asking me first, lol. I wouldn't even blink an eye at a spoon of coolwhip but I probably wouldn't leave the baby unattended with that aunt again without a few ground rules.

conweis
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I would have politely told her that we don't feed the baby that but thank you for watching her.

othermom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:35 AM
4 moms liked this

I wouldn't say anything. All my kids were given little bits of stuff at that age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)