Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Marriage Wisdom for Newlyweds?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 64 Replies

This September, I will hit the 14-year married mark (18 years together). Technically, we are waaaay past the "newlywed" status, but I've been around a lot of newlyweds lately, as there have been a few lunches with Kiddo's teachers from Kindergarten and first grade. Lovely ladies who are newlyweds or just married (like literally last weekend) or planning weddings. It's fun to revisit that time in the life cycle - the fresh start, the new beginning, the yet-to-come thoughts, "everything is in front of us" outlook.

Chit-chats with them often turn to relationships, and I find myself falling into the sage older lady giving snippets of advice, retelling stories of my husband's and my journey through married life. Just like they like listening (at least they tell me they do), I enjoy watching Joanie when she dishes on her marriage -- I always manage to pick up little bits of wisdom. Things that should be printed up and hung on a wall, like these I spotted on Pinterest. You know I love wasting time researching over on that site. I've posted quotes for kids, inspiration for moms...how about a few on marriage?

We often hear about a balanced relationship, everyone giving their share, but this one reminds us it's actually giving your all, the full 100% that makes a marriage work.

Not only did this one make me laugh, it really struck a chord with me. So much of married life is dealing with the little annoyances of our significant other. But should we let those little "burned-out light bulbs" totally wreck a pretty solid marriage? Nope. Marriage is like a house.

Often what gets a marriage into trouble is the idea that something (or someone) else is better than what we have. I had the lucky opportunity to sit and listen to author Jane Green talk about her latest bestseller Tempting Fate, which is about affairs, the temptations that come along during a life-long partnership and the ideas of acting on those thoughts or not. She said something similar, that when we tend to our grass ie our relationship, when we water it, it's pretty green.

I love this one and try to pass it along to those that are just staring their lives together. I know it's tough to remember that the person we marry won't stay the same -- nor would we want them to. We want to grow and evolve. We are works in progress, as is our relationship, eh?

How long have you been with your significant other? Which of these Pinterest-y nuggets of wisdom do you like best?

©iStockphoto.com/ Tzidanic 

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Compromise & commucation :)

Saucy1
by Kristina on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:33 AM

We'll be celebrating our 10 year anniversary in October.  I like the motto of  a bride and groom. 

chrissydan
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:33 AM
Marriage is hard work that never ends but one of the most rewarding things you will do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Desirae1394
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:53 AM

These are great. The first and last are my favorites.

We've been married for 11 years this coming October. Together for 12 this past February.

graycalico
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:09 AM
We've been together 5 or 6 years. I like the first quote best.
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:04 AM

We've been together 32 years, married for 29. 

I like the 50-50 one best. I figured that out very early on.

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:05 AM

I also know that the only person you can change is yourself, so if you're unhappy in your marriage and you decide to leave to find someone 'more suitable' without looking at how suitable you are, the chances of you finding anything 'better' is remote. 

Fix yourself, and everyone looks better, including the same-old, same-old you picked originally... 

PennOhioBabe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:08 AM
We've been together for almost 14 years. I like a marriage is 100-100
want10more
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:11 AM

10 yrs. i think i like the 'green' one the best. i know i'm sposed to say that marriage is hard work, but for us, it isn't. i guess we just water a lot! lol.

want10more
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:13 AM

i had a prof in college that had been married 7+ times. he was also a marriage counselor. (!!) after one looooong boring lecture about marriage, i spoke up and said, dude, after 3x? it's YOU! lol. (no, that's not always true i know. but for HIM it sure was!)

Quoting LindaClement:

I also know that the only person you can change is yourself, so if you're unhappy in your marriage and you decide to leave to find someone 'more suitable' without looking at how suitable you are, the chances of you finding anything 'better' is remote. Fix yourself, and everyone looks better, including the same-old, same-old you picked originally... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)