Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Movie Night = Couples Therapy?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this

My husband and I have wonko schedules, so we often don't eat dinner together. We often don't even get to spend some weekends together. What do we do together? Watch binge watch TV shows. I know, it's a little head-scratchy, but it is something that we a) both like to do, b) something we can do when we are both a little rundown from the day, and c) doesn't need a babysitter or cost much money (we're watching our budget...like everyone else, eh?).

The funny thing? I just read about a study that says watching certain movies as a couple can actually work as couples therapy. I know, so interesting, right? Basically, the premise is, by viewing together and talking about the problems the couple onscreen faces and how they work through it (or don't), couples can work on issues or troubles they may be having. The study said that couples that watched "chick flicks" or other movies that are relationship-based and also talked about them after had a better chance of being together after three years.

The key to it, I guess, is to be sure to watch together and discuss it after. No just watching and going to bed. It's a little like movie therapy homework. So, you can't head to Netflix and cue up The Avengers or E.T. It has to be a relationship-centric film. What movies do the experts recommend? Well, there's a whole list here, including Sweet Home Alabama, Yours Mine and Ours, Date Night, Her, This is 40, Four Christmases, She's Having a Baby, Desk Set, and more.

I'm curious if this goes for TV shows as well? My husband and I watch Parenthood together, which is relationship-based and do find ourselves chatting about what's happening with the couples on screen. We also watch Game of Thrones and The Following...thinking those may not be what the doctors are talking about.

What do you and your significant other do together? Have you ever gone to couples therapy?

©iStockphoto.com/Kandypix

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:04 AM
Never gone to therapy. We watch certain shows together though.
brittany208
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:05 AM
We generally hang out as a family. We've never gone to therapy.
PennOhioBabe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:54 AM
We watch a movie, go for walks in the park, go grocery shopping without the kids, go out to eat.
momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:16 AM

We fight does that count?;p;

.Angelica.
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I cant recall ever discussing a movie after watching it. Lol
lil_mama06
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM

We've never gone to therapy...We watch Law and Order,Little House on the Prairie together..We try to go out 1 day out of the weekend alone...Our girls understand and they can tell if we skip a week or 2...They tell us to LEAVE...lol...

lil_mama06
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM

We don't either...

Quoting .Angelica.: I cant recall ever discussing a movie after watching it. Lol

othermom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:10 AM

we go for dates and walks occasionally. we do things with the kids

LaniBee
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:13 AM

We've never gone to thereapy, but we have talked about situations that people/couples have gone though in a movie or TV show. It can be a good way to start a conversation you want to have! 

othermom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Quoting lil_mama06:

We don't either...

Quoting .Angelica.: I cant recall ever discussing a movie after watching it. Lol

We will sometimes with movies or tv shows, usually stuff that we didn't like it in or if something really exciting happens. We have a few shows that we watch together usually

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN