Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Wedding Presents I Wish I Had Asked For

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 88 Replies

As I mentioned on Tuesday, I know a few folks that are getting married soon-ish...and have been chatting with some others that have more than their fair share of weddings they need to attend in the coming months. Weddings mean love, dancing, photographers, and yes, wedding presents.

When I think about what I registered for 14 years ago, it was a lot of stuff I really didn't need. Some -- basic dishes, towels, sheet sets -- we definitely use (and still do). Others -- certain vases, serving pieces, frames -- were not totally useful and are sitting in the closet. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would definitely do some things differently. If I could go back in time and give gifts to friends again, I would also switch some up.

What would I be asking for (or giving) this time around?

Date night gift cards -- If I could rewind the years, I would register for some gift cards at some local places. We often didn't have the cash to go out as much as we should have pre-kiddo, something I regret a bit. Thinking about those folks that are getting married now, making sure they have regular dates to keep that romance strong is vital to the first years of a marriage.

Christmas ornaments or other holiday accessories -- I love the holidays, all of them. A set of beautiful ornaments or holiday linens or serveware are all a perfect gift that the new couple will use year after year. Another idea (that you can DIY): a chic wreath with interchangeable attachments for the seasons or holidays.

A year of cleaning service -- This is one I would have registered for in a heartbeat if I had thought of it. Taking this simple task away so the newlyweds can adjust and just spend weekends with each other is a seriously awesome gift idea.

Cooking classes -- "A couple that cooks together, stays together." So true, so why not enable the happy couple to start cooking together on Day One. Not only is it a fun date night experience, it can lead to some great life-long dishes they share.

What was your favorite gift you received at your wedding? What do you love to give now to newlyweds?

©iStockphoto.com/ KSK Imaging 

by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:12 AM
All white serving platters and bowls
ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:14 AM
I usually pick something from their registry
johnny4ever
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:28 AM

New Bath Towels...they were the best gift!

LaniBee
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I like the restaurant gift card idea! 

kerryket
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this

I really love our cashmere blanket, it's seen us through so much!  Great, I sound like Linus.  

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:31 AM

We did love that restaurant gift card that we got randomly.

Leelee1008
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:39 AM

we are not married but I like the gift card idea... How many young couples acutally host a dinner with a gravy boat anymore???

I mean I would but im a little bit old fashioned when it comes to things

Leelee1008
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I would register for christmas things, I like that idea

Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM

My favorite gift was a Caphlon baking set... I still use it today !

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM
3 moms liked this

A year of cleaning service would have been fabulous!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)