Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Make it Personal? Sure!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this

Wedding gifts. They are a bit of a sticky issue at times. Do you buy from the registry? Do you go out on a limb with the cool gifts I mentioned yesterday? Do you give cash? A lot, I think, depends on how well you know the couple. For those work friends, opt for a gift from the registry. A couple maybe younger than you and just really embarking on adulthood? Cash may be a good option.

For those that are close to us, like siblings or cousins? I love a custom gift, something totally personal. Since you know them, you know their taste, their décor, their loves and hates, so you can pick something just for them that they will cherish for years to come. Always-good ideas: coasters with their monogram or last name initial or etched barware with the initial. Those will be used over and over again. A few other ideas I spotted:

This wood plaque from CSS Design on Etsy is a great idea. It can go in a kitchen or entry way or even a redone basement or study. Sleek, sophisticated, it can work for those couples where you know she's taking his name.

This chic print in faux wood grain adds a pop of color and whimsy for any décor. You can get it in a variety of colors. From Verbose Prints on Etsy, there are a few "tree initial" prints to choose from, so if this doesn't quite do it, look around at some of the other pieces. I see it in a bathroom or an entry hallway.

For your brother or sister with a more modern style, how about this one from Uncommon Goods. Like sign posts, it's totally titled "The Intersection of Love." How adorable is that? Again, it comes in different colors and isn't totally overt with the personalization as it may take houseguests one or two passes to realize the street names.

Share your best custom or personalized gifts to give!

©iStockphoto.com/ Neustockimages 

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:05 AM

We are giving/gabe oldest ds & fiance a gc to get a washer & dryer . they loved it ;)

graycalico
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:06 AM
I love the first one!
wandep
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Those are cute ideas.

sarahjz
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I usually try to give personalized gifts.

sarahjz
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Quoting hugss:

We are giving/gabe oldest ds & fiance a gc to get a washer & dryer . they loved it ;)

That is so nice, and generous!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Thank you :)

Quoting sarahjz:

Quoting hugss:

We are giving/gave oldest ds & fiance a gc to get a washer & dryer . they loved it ;)

That is so nice, and generous!

Mom2jngnc
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:56 AM

For my DH's coworkers we did Gift cards to a home improvement store (as they all seemed to have just bought or looking at house). 

My cousin (recently) I went with teh registry. It was hard as we  aren't as close as we had been as children and only having seen his fiancee a couple of times I figured it was safest. 

Close friends... they get what they get... lol 
K- got a precious moments water globe as I know she loves them

S-pyrex, cookie sheet, HUGE turner for large cookies to come off teh sheet and she was thrilled as loved to bake 

jellyphish
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:13 AM
Cute!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Years ago, we gave our best friends a sign similiar to the first example here, they had been married about 10 years. Now they are approaching 40 years, and it still hangs in their family room.

Vertical15
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I just buy stuff off their registry.  I'm not creative enough!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)