Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Redoing That Homework Area

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 60 Replies

The table is on its last legs...literally. It just fell over as the wood has cracked. We can't move it at all once it gets kinda-sorta MacGyvered into place. I'm talking about Kiddo's homework table. It's also where she eats and all that, but it's mainly the place she does homework.

Soooooo, we are obviously in need of a new homework area. As the new school year is right around the corner, I'm looking at everything homework-y-related we need to possibly, for lack of a better word, upgrade and, of course, organize.

-- Inventory. Along with the table, I'm taking inventory of everything that she uses: pads of drawing paper, markers, pencils, tape, etc. Do we have enough so I'm not frantic at 8:35 pm if she needs to make some sort of project or something? I'm organizing a list of what we may need to stock up on to be sure we're on top of it.

-- Get a central holding place. Aside from the set homework area, I'm looking at how our "drop zone" area is...you know, that place where the kids (and, well, all of us) unload backpacks, shoes, coats, etc and so forth when we come in the abode. How is that area working for your family? Does it need a redo? Better bins? I'm checking out ours, and realize I need a cubby for each of us and a hook. I've seen some fabu ideas on Pinterest, with everyone having a hook, a bin, a dry erase board for messages and reminders, and a mailbox-type wall bin for forms and such. Genius!

-- Knowledge is power for everyone. Make sure everyone gets in the habit of checking the main central calendar (wherever that may be). I put two dry erase boards right by our door, one has a weekly overview, and the other is a big monthly calendar with room for notes and reminders.

Do your kids have a homework area? Have you had to redo it this year?

©iStockphoto.com/ iqoncept

by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Our kids did most of their work either at the computer or lying on the floor...

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:15 AM

We have 2 desks.I just have to add paper and pens and things.

Stevensmomma
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:36 AM

The dinner table is the homework area we don't have much space for it any where else 

Maries_Mom23
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Our girls both have desks that are in the playroom.  Weird, I know, but it's the only place I had left.  This weekend, we're going to straighten up the playroom and desk area (they're right beside each other).  Back to school shopping happens this weekend and we'll put pencils, crayons, etc in the desks, so they're not always searching for what they need to do homework.  

Saucy1
by Kristina on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:40 AM

I wish they did. We do homework at the kitchen table. 

virginiamama71
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:47 AM

my son has a game room and desk in there but he will do homework in the living room or at the kitchen table.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Yes, we have a desk that I use and the kid's use. 

sunshinepraying
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:55 AM

We don't have a specific homework area...usually it's done on the kitchen table

othermom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:04 PM

They sit at the kitchen table so I can help while cooking dinner

othermom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Quoting virginiamama71:

my son has a game room and desk in there but he will do homework in the living room or at the kitchen table.

My son has a desk in his room but between the fish tank and our old computer that we keep meaning to hook up that is on the desk he doesn't have room to do anything else on it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN