Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Back-to-School Shopping: Can You Save Money?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:24 AM
  • 65 Replies

Personal Financial Expert Michelle Singletary is here to discuss ways that families can avoid spending a fortune on their kids' back-to-school needs.

Follow Michelle on Twitter @SingletaryM and learn more about her here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/michelle-singletary"

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:49 AM

We're having back to school no sales tax weekend starting this Friday. :) So that will be nice. You can get school supplies and clothes up to a certain amount with no sales tax added on. :) Can't wait!

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:53 AM
we are watching sales circulars
la1118
by Laura on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM
I am sorting through all the stuff they brought home at the end of last year to see if anything can still be used. I know for sure we already have several pencil boxes and some unused glue sticks, as well as pencils and scissors. I will also scan the sales ads to comparison shop.
sarahjz
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:34 AM

We won't have to buy new clothes yet....maybe in the fall.

othermom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM

We buy clothes year round on clearance to ave money and fill in with second hand stuff. Supplies so far has not been to bad,  I just got their lists and wll be starting to get their stuff.

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:02 PM

couponing!

ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Go to all the places like drug stores, Target, Walmart, grocery stores etc check ads!
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Look at the list: is it actually reasonable? (probably not.)

Do you already own 3/4 of it? (probably.)

Does it have to be purchased new? (definitely no.)

Does anyone actually NEED a whole new wardrobe because it's September? (certainly not.)

Can you wait until the sales later in September? (for lots of things, yes.)

Can you wait to buy clothes until after the fall growth spurt? (hey, good idea!)

Can you shop around to only buy what's on sale, instead of picking the 'best' sale price and buying everything else in one location? (if you have time, sure!)

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I always shop at the penny sales that the office supply stores offer.  I bought .01 folders, and will buy the .10 erasers etc.  I buy clothes on clearance and sign up for emails from stores I shop at.  Gymboree sends me a 20% off and I use it too buy clearance items.  I coupon and normally get pens for free.

LaniBee
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!  ;-)

Quoting LindaClement:

Look at the list: is it actually reasonable? (probably not.)

Do you already own 3/4 of it? (probably.)

Does it have to be purchased new? (definitely no.)

Does anyone actually NEED a whole new wardrobe because it's September? (certainly not.)

Can you wait until the sales later in September? (for lots of things, yes.)

Can you wait to buy clothes until after the fall growth spurt? (hey, good idea!)

Can you shop around to only buy what's on sale, instead of picking the 'best' sale price and buying everything else in one location? (if you have time, sure!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN