Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

I let my 7yo dd play in the rain :-) *Pics*

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you let your kids play in the rain?

Options:

Of course!

No, not at all.

My kids never wanted too.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 289

View Results

Sorry the pic is sideways. I can't figure out how to flip it :-/

Some of my best childhood memories are of me and my sister playing in the rain. It's nice to see my kids having the joys as me :-)

As soon as I told DD it was raining, she threw on some pants and raced outside. Today's rain was so warm DD didn't even bother with a shirt,lol. But even as I snapped a pic my mind wandered to all the "helpful" neighbors who warned my mom that me and my sister were sure to catch our death out there! My mom would just smile and say sickness is caused by germs, not cold water and we would continue playing. True enough, I have never gotten sick after playing in the rain and neither have any of my kids.

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Replies (191-199):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Lol, unwanted attention? She doesn't get anymore attention than all the other topless boys running around the neighborhood.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

I am all for playing in the rain in the summer but why is she topless ??? Why didn't she at least have a bathing suit top on she's a little lady I fear for unwanted attention towards a little girl 

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

chefmartha
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Thank you. I have one with Dad out playing with DS and DD#2 in the rain that same day, but I don't remember what I did with it. It's somewhere among all my photos, I just need to finish organizing them so they are easier to find. :) 

Quoting paganbaby:

That is such a sweet picture!

Quoting chefmartha:

LOL...We used to play in the rain all the time. As long as there is no thunder and lightning, there is nothing wrong with letting kids play in water. Puddle jumping was one of my favorite things to do as a kid. The water out of the hose that mom rinsed us off with before letting us go in the house was colder.

One of my favorite pictures of my kids is of my dad out puddle jumping with my son when he was about 6-7 years old. At that point we (DH, the kids and I) had lived in California since before the kids were born and the kids hadn't really seen a rain storm before that they could play in. (Rain storms by us had been almost hurricane worthy so no outside playing.) So when a gentle storm came through on a visit to my parents, Dad took off his shoes, rolled up his pants and showed the kids how it's done.

The original photo was taken back in 1996. Oh and DS wouldn't go out in the rain without a raincoat. LOL... He looks so cute wearing my mom's raincoat. :)

Jamie1972
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Quoting paganbaby:

I'm in Socal too! Ontario over here. Where abouts are you?

Quoting Jamie1972:

If it rains here during the summer sure I let my kids play. We get most of our rain during the winter,gotta love Socal. Sometimes I let them then only if it's not hard or too chilly.

Hemet.
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup.

Perverts... they walk among us. ;0

Quoting paganbaby:

Lol, unwanted attention? She doesn't get anymore attention than all the other topless boys running around the neighborhood.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

I am all for playing in the rain in the summer but why is she topless ??? Why didn't she at least have a bathing suit top on she's a little lady I fear for unwanted attention towards a little girl 

Scribbleprints
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Sort of...in the apartments we used to live there was one that came near but I don't think it actually touched down..  Not sure exactly how close it came since we were in the closet the whole time.  It was close enough to throw around the pool chairs and break the window in the laundry room house right by the pool our apartment overlooked...but I don't think it touched down there.  Down the road a few miles it tore apart the Coke bottling factory...that was some serious damage (big hole in the roof).  We didn't have anything like that where we were.  That's the closest I've gotten to one.  

Quoting paganbaby:

Have you ever experienced a tornado first hand?

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Yeah, playing in the rain and playing in the thunderstorm are two different matters.  And playing in a tornado watch--definately out.  ;)

(For those not in Texas or other midwest state:  "Tornado watch" means the conditions are right for one, "tornado warning" means one has been spotted.  My kids have to stay inside for the first--for the second, we head for the closets).  

Quoting paganbaby:

Well yeah. I kinda draw the line at lightning. That has been known to be detrimental to people...

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Yes, as long as it's still warm, and there is no thunder/lightening they can play. They often take so long putting away their outdoor stuff (bike helmets, baseball equip) that they are out for a few minutes even when they should be in.

xxshelbyxxx
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:15 PM
I let my son play In the rain a few times but here in Ohio when it rains it's usually cold out too, and despite what you said about cold water not making kids sick, cold rain and cold air on a child's body will cause them to get sick so I don't let him all the time. He enjoys puddles after the rain more than playing in the actual rain anyways.

Oh and I'd never let my 7 year old play topless where other adults or kids could see her in the neighborhood. Maybe at a younger age but not at 7, she needs a shirt even if it's just a bathing suit top or cami.
ladyvamp5489
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM

depends on how cold the rain is and if its lightning

Halokittie
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this

all the time! they love it. They also like to jump on the trampoline in th rain.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

My kids love the rain
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)