Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Cat mom's - IV at home?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM
  • 28 Replies

Has anyone ever given their cats IV fluids at home?

Our 16 yr old cat is not doing so well. We took him to the vet yesterday but they didn't find anything.

He's not eating very much and hardly drinking.  They gave him IV fluids yesterday and said they can actually have us do it at home.  Just curious how hard it is to do it.

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saucy1
by Kristina on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Sorry, no I haven't. I hope your cat feels better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:55 PM

No. Im so sorry. I hope he  is ok,

sunshinepraying
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:51 PM

I'm sorry he's not doing well. Never done that before. I hope someone else knows and can help you.

sunshinepraying
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Checked it on google. There are some different things on it, including videos that you might want to check out. I didn't get a chance to look into it much, but thought it might help. Go here

Mom2jngnc
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I can't say for sure, but if they get an IV site secured it can't be too much worse than a person..... I know that isn't helpful. 

hugss
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:08 AM

No sorry but hope someone can help,
Hope your furkid will be ok :)

Linds2Horse
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:14 AM
Not cats, but horses and my dogs. It's not hard.
marchantmom06
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM
I give my son IV fluids. I've done it on a couple of horses and a cow. Lol it's fairly easy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not in the vein, it is actually subcutaneously.  You just pick up the fold of skin on the neck between your fingers and insert the needle through the skin.  It takes two minutes to demonstrate.  Find a place to hange the bag of fluid (dining room table chandelier, maybe) and put the cat on the table to administer the fluid.  

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Yes, we have done this with our special needs cat. It really is very easy, just as PP described. The supplies are inexpensive, and it does not hurt the cat.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more. Our cat is only 6 but had some major health issues this spring, so we have been through the wringer with him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)