Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Being a working mom is no excuse for a dirty home!

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM
  • 215 Replies
2 moms liked this
I work full time as does my dh. Our weekdays are crazy hectic. If it is not something that HAS to be done, I don't do it until the weekend. So yes, that means that sometimes my floor need to be swept and the table is cluttered. Sometimes the shoe rack has exploded all over my kitchen, and the toy bins have fewer toys than the floor does. The bathtub might have a ring around it and damp towels may be tossed NEAR the hamper (boys-dh included-are so bad about not quite getting dirty clothes in the hamper, LOL!).

I posted a response in another thread that I don't even try to keep my house clean during the week, and got the response that "being a working mom is no excuse for a dirty home".

What do you think? Am I just being lazy by focusing on chores only on weekends? Is it ok that I want to spend the short amount of time I get with my family during the week WITH my family instead of cleaning? How do you feel about it? Do you sahms ever put off cleaning to have more time with your family?
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM
8 moms liked this
As long as it's getting cleaned once a week and your not living in complete filth I see no problem with saving most of the housework for the weekends.
jellyphish
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:06 PM
14 moms liked this
I'm of the mindset that I'd rather my house be loved in and look lived in than meticulously cleaned and the kids ignored. So yeah, I agree with you. I also have an extremely hard time keeping up with just laundry and dishes though. Ugh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM
4 moms liked this

You must do what works for you period. That is good for you that you do set time family. And that you also set time on weekends for cleaning. Sounds like you have made the type of balance you & your familys needs. 

good

liveforever
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:13 PM
4 moms liked this
I feel there's a difference between clutter/mess and dirt.
I'll take 15-20 min to sweep the floor (hardwoods with a dog..ugh!) but I'll let the table stay cluttered.
Stephanie116
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:16 PM
5 moms liked this
I work from home and my house still sounds exactly like you've described yours. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you're being silly only doing housework on the weekends. When I worked, I wouldn't do housework on my days off.

KeepOnTryin
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this
I've always worked at least part time, if not full time, and my house has always been very clean. Dishes are done everyday, a little bit of laundry is done everyday, beds are made everyday. Now that we have a dog, floor is vacuumed everyday. Everybody has their own idea of what is acceptable.
cemcnair
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this
It's generally not disgusting, lol! No rotten food out, no trash laying around. Just clutter and disorganization. And sometimes dirty dishes, blah!

Quoting cabrandy03: As long as it's getting cleaned once a week and your not living in complete filth I see no problem with saving most of the housework for the weekends.
cemcnair
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
;)
I have to do the cloth diapers during the week. I wash all other laundry on the weekend. Dishes are loaded into the dishwasher when it's empty (so usually by Thursday, we put them in the sink instead!).

Quoting jellyphish: I'm of the mindset that I'd rather my house be loved in and look lived in than meticulously cleaned and the kids ignored. So yeah, I agree with you. I also have an extremely hard time keeping up with just laundry and dishes though. Ugh!
cemcnair
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Works for us!

Quoting suziejax:

You must do what works for you period. That is good for you that you do set time family. And that you also set time on weekends for cleaning. Sounds like you have made the type of balance you & your familys needs. 

good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN