Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Video games

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM
  • 21 Replies
Do your children play video games? Do you regulate the type or time they play?

On the local radio station this morning, I heard that 55% of parents (asked in a recent poll) said they did not regulate the time their children spent on video games or the content! I was floored!
My boys are still young and do not play video games, so I didn't know that so many parents just let their kids have unrestricted access.

Do you think it's ok? Or, do you prefer to limit time/content?
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Dd does not play video games, at least not yet.
If she did I would definetly have a time limit.
jellyphish
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:04 PM
No video games here. Biggie gets up to an hour on gma's iPad, but I don't think her dad regulates it (he Eve bought her her own iPod at four though).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liveforever
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:08 PM
Dd is 8. She doesn't always have a set time limit. I do monitor the content though.

Sometimes shell go play (Wii) Just Dance with her friends for an hour. I don't mind BC they're moving around. Sometimes shell play for 15 min and get bored.

She takes her ds on long car rides only. So that tends to get played for long stretches of time.

As for the tablet/computer, if I notice she's been on for too long I just tell her to shut it off. If its nice out shell get less of a window then say a rainy day.
suziejax
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Yes I make sure the games in my house are approved first. Plus I have regulated time playing.

Stephanie116
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:19 PM
The content of the games is controlled, but the time limit is always enforced. It really depends on their behavior and what else we have going on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZombieMeat37
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Absolutely....My 8 year old is allowed only 30 minutes per day, on the weekend. That's it. The only game she plays is my Atari.
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM

My kids do.

We never had any limits enforced. 

In my experience, enforced limitations cause obsessions.

KairisMama
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:56 PM

My kids like tablet or iphone time in the morning. I set the timer for 45 minutes. Later in the evening they may have Wii or computer time for up to an hour. I don't allow unlimited, all day play ever.

sarahjz
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Sort of.  They occasionally play Mario Kart.  No more than once a week, no more than 20-30 minutes.  My husband and I play Super Mario 1-2 times a week and the kids watch.

conweis
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:15 PM
No time limit but I won't let them play some games.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN