Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Talking to Teens about Food and Exercise

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies

It's been fascinating watching this week's videos with the Mad Life team, reading about how you guys all tackle this huge part of raising kiddos. In a totally selfish way, I'm glad we have this topic this week. Selfish because it's one of the main parenting juggles that I worry about: making sure my daughter feels good about herself and her body. 

I'm not sure what kind of body type she will have...sometimes, I think hers will be more like mine, other times, I think she's naturally built like her dad. Regardless, I want her to take care of it and have a good relationship with food and exercise. We all know how so many girls suffer from eating disorders, from unhealthy eating and exercise habits. How do I help Kiddo like her body? 

Part of it is teaching good eating habits. When anyone - kid or adult - feels like he or she is putting fresh, good-for-you food in their bodies, they feel better overall. If we move our bodies on a consistent basis, we feel better physically and mentally.

I'm trying to be mindful of this...not only encouraging Kiddo to be active and get out and move her body, but show her how I try to take care of mine and how I do it to make me feel good, not necessarily look a certain way. We talk a lot about what goes into a good meal - protein, veggies, fruits and so on. How calcium is important and all that jazz. I'm thinking of getting a few cookbooks that are geared toward kids, so she can start to feel empowered in the kitchen and really take part in preparing what goes into her body. (One I'm definitely looking at: Cooking with Children by Marion Cunningham, which teaches the basics, the how-tos to prepare food.)

The hardest part: dealing with candy and sweets and snacks. The experts say Instead of calling those foods "bad" for you, call them "sometimes" foods. Veggies, fruits, proteins are "always" foods, while ice cream and cookies are "sometimes" foods - not bad just ones you eat, in small portions, sometimes. This "word tweak" really worked for Kiddo.

How do you teach your kids good eating and exercise habits?  

©iStockphoto.com/ kaan tanman  

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM

We do a lot of walking and biking.My 15 year old is more health conscious then me.

MistressMinerva
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:24 AM

My daughter went thru phases.

BannerElkHogans
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:27 AM

I have a 7 yr old daughter ....she's about 20 lb's over weight - she stay's alot at my mom's an well my mom eat's crap that's just plain (Fried,Dyied or Laid to the Side) I grew up like that an was 170 lbs over weight ....I haven't let her eat at mom's in aboout 6 months an monitoring what she eat's closely because well Mom is making all the grand kid's chubby ......Can some one Help me ....I don't want my daughter who's only 7 to be picked on for being a fat kid,teen or adult .........how can i help my mom ??? I have lost all the weight an been normal body weight for 12 yr's ....so any suggestion's or not hateful comment's :P

Firespirit13
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:34 AM

My kids are still young (8 months 3yr 4 yr) but they are learning now about how to cook and why we eat the tings we do and how they affect your body.  My kids are supersensitive to chemicals in food so i teach them the importance of REAL food not the junk that can be bought in a box.  If you want it and its food you can cook it yourself that is my motto.  We dont bother wasting money on cook books because they usually are flled with stuff we would never eat.  I isue the internet and just look up the recipies.  I teach my kids about clean natural foods and the importance of not eating chemical filled junk.  At one point I weighed 450 bs and I NEVER want my kids to face that kind of thing because i didnt teach them right from wrong when it comes to food.  I dont believe at all in the old saying Everything in moderation" because there is no moderation anymore when it comes to the chemical junk in food.  It has an addictive quality just like any other drug so teaching them that food chemicals are just as bad as drugs seems to help as well.  

sarahjz
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:54 AM

We make healthy food choices, and we exercise together as a family.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

We lead by example and eat healthy foods and exercise ourselves.

virginiamama71
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:01 AM

My son is very active and we try our best with foods.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

My mom does the same thing!  I still don't have an answer for it so hopefully someone on here will!

Quoting BannerElkHogans:

I have a 7 yr old daughter ....she's about 20 lb's over weight - she stay's alot at my mom's an well my mom eat's crap that's just plain (Fried,Dyied or Laid to the Side) I grew up like that an was 170 lbs over weight ....I haven't let her eat at mom's in aboout 6 months an monitoring what she eat's closely because well Mom is making all the grand kid's chubby ......Can some one Help me ....I don't want my daughter who's only 7 to be picked on for being a fat kid,teen or adult .........how can i help my mom ??? I have lost all the weight an been normal body weight for 12 yr's ....so any suggestion's or not hateful comment's :P

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I taught them the only effective way there is: 

By demonstrating good eating and exercise habits.

sanj1213
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:56 AM

My son does what we do and we exercise and eat healthy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN