Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

School Supply Blues

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 61 Replies

It is hard to believe that it is already back-to-school time. My niece started on July 31st (crazy early, right?) and the neighborhood schools here all start in the next two weeks. My son will be starting first grade this year and is excited about having school recess again.

I, on the other hand, am a little sad.

Not about Miles going back to school or about the thought of how heartbroken his little sister will be when he is gone for big parts of the day (though she will be) but of something that is perhaps a bit silly.

I am sad about buying school supplies.

We have our last of mandatory supplies: 24 (!) glue sticks, four notebooks in primary colors only, two boxes of pencils, one tub of Clorox wipes, etc…all that will get dumped into a communal bin on open house night.  At least $50 in supplies and nothing really fun in the bag!

Now, I get that teachers need supplies and I certainly don’t think they should have to buy basic things out of their own wallets but I’m kind of bummed that my kids won’t get the fun of choosing the folders or pencils or notebooks that they like best. I remember loving getting to choose between the My Little Pony or Barbie Trapper Keeper and how pumped I was to have a Jordan Knight from New Kids on the Block folder for turning in homework.

I will confess that I am someone who self-medicates by buying cute office supplies (my grad school binders are polka dots and are adorable) so I might be alone in this complaint, but doesn’t it just seem less fun than it used to be? I’m glad that this means that all of the kids in his class will have the supplies they need, I just wish there was some room for a Star Wars folder or two!

Does your child’s school do the shared supplies thing too? How do you feel about it?

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:05 AM

I was ok with it :)

Linds2Horse
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:21 AM
My son's school accepts donations. The teachers publish a wish list and parents "pledge" what they want to buy and the quantity. It's sorta like a shower registry.

Communal supplies don't bother me. It all evens out in the end. School is important to my son's future and I'm certainly not going to contradict that by bitching about supplies.
wandep
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Yes they do! I hate it!!! This year tho I got smart and wrote their names on a few things. LOL Mostly like notebooks. :) 

johnny4ever
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Quoting wandep:

Yes they do! I hate it!!! This year tho I got smart and wrote their names on a few things. LOL Mostly like notebooks. :) 

Ugh!Pam I get so ticked that I have to constantly send things in.Spring time it seems everything rusn out.So I just ask Daniel what he is low on and I have a small stock pile for those supplies.

johnny4ever
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting wandep:

I put his name on all Crayons & Markers.I know a bit extreme!lol

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:21 AM

As a teacher, I am all about shared, plain school supplies. There are other ways that kids can be fun.

Roo1234
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:23 AM
I always allow my kids to pick of a few things that they can use at home. .. the folder they just love, etc.
LaniBee
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:24 AM

When my girls were in the younger grades of elementary school, the supplies were shared. I think we were asked to send in more things after the Christmas break. I didn't really mind. 

wandep
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Quoting johnny4ever:

Quoting wandep:

I put his name on all Crayons & Markers.I know a bit extreme!lol

Oh yeah....no problem with that. I also did their scissors! LOL Those things are expensive.

PennOhioBabe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes my son's school does the same thing. I always let them pick out a special character folder that is what they use to bring home their homework & important papers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN