Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Three Tips to Tame First Day Nerves

Posted by   + Show Post

Back-to-school fears. Similar to fears of the monster under the bed and that fear of an open closet door, they are totally not at all logical, but nonetheless, can be pretty intense. How do we help our kiddos deal with it? I've done my reading, folks, and it seems there are three main things we can do to hopefully turn the knob on the Jitter Meter from a level 9 down to a 1. The funny thing: they are all pretty simple to do.

-- Keep your own stress level low. You may be just as nervous as your kids. Maybe your son had a rough year last year, and you are stressed about how this year will go. Perhaps of your daughter's BFFs all were assigned a different homeroom, and you are worried about them still including her. Maybe you started a new job, and you aren't sure how you are going to juggle pickups. Kids are going to pick up on your stress level, so do what you can do to ease it so it doesn't add to theirs.

-- Devise a good morning routine. If every morning is stressful and hectic, it's only going to make your kids' worries that much worse. Talk about how mornings will go, leave plenty of time to get to bus stops or to school so there isn't another issue of being late. Do a trial run to see how long it will take to drive or walk to school, and beginning the week before the first day, get up at the new school morning time so there's no oversleeping issues. Another hint: make a morning schedule for everyone in the house, and post it so the whole family knows what to do in the morning.

-- Remember the power of a comfort item. Go shopping for a small stuffed animal friend that your kiddo can keep in his or her backpack. Name him, talk about how he's there just for your child. Tucked away in the bottom of the backpack -- no one else has to even know he's there, but your child knows. Having a comfort item, even for older elementary kids, can be all that's needed to get over the back-to-school fears.   

How do you help tame your kids' back-to-school fears?

©iStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz 

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-47):
mrswillie
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:12 AM
My kids didn't have fears. Thankfully.
RobynS
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:04 PM

DD wouldn't admit that she was nervous today (first day of kindergarten!) but I can tell that she was feeling a little overwhelmed. They have "meet and greet" in the gym every morning with the entire school--so it is loud and busy until they settle in for the announcements.

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM

to see if friends are on her team

graycalico
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 6:39 AM
Love the second 2 tips!
Linds2Horse
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 5:22 PM
He goes to a small school same kids, same teachers, same rooms so he isn't nervous. If anything, he is in denial that it starts in two days.
jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 1:04 PM

She is exited to go back 

copperswifey
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Good tips! :) I try to stay upbeat and positive and tell her how much fun she is going to have. I read books that talk about how much fun it is to go to school :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN