Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

First Day of School Jitters 101

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

My father was in the Air Force, so every once and a while, I would head to a new school in a new city where I knew no one. Talk about having back-to-school nerves. For me, I was okay with new teachers, getting around the hallways and such. For me, the biggest fear: who I would eat lunch with. We've chatted about overall fears of heading back to school, but for many kids, it could be one specific thing they are getting a little freaked out about. If your older kids are heading back to school and seem okay, but maybe a little "off," see of one of these things are troubling them:

-- Combination locks. I mean, who doesn't remember this anxiety? This is a doozy, but easily remedied: nab your tween a lock to practice on in the weeks leading up to school. Also, when she does get her combination, help her memorize it and come up with tricks to remember it.

-- Harder classes. It is a totally normal feeling to be concerned about keeping up with the work. We've all been there. Support your child by reminding him of what he is good at and think of strategies that he can use if he's a little overwhelmed - or to prevent getting overwhelmed to begin with. Having a set study schedule, a calendar where he can track what is do when and plan out when to tackle what projects and so on can enable him to be on top of everything, even if it is more work than last year.

-- Not being in class with the BFFs. As classes get mixed around in elementary school or when everyone has a different schedule in middle school and high school, it can really throw off a kid when she's not with her good buddies. Once you get the class lists or figure out which kids share your child's homeroom, set up a few playdates or social time for them to get to know each other. Also, to keep the bonds with the older friends, try making a set time when she can see them each week or every other week after school.

What about the first day of school makes your kids nervous?

©iStockphoto.com/ hidesy 

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Meeting new teachers and friends. 

LaniBee
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Yesterday was registration day for my 8th grader (she's 13). I don't think she's stopped texting her friends yet to see what lunch they have and who's who in what class! She's not really nervous this year, though, because it's her second year at this school, so she knows the teachers, has the same friends and bus stop, etc. 

cemcnair
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:36 AM
Mine are still little guys :)
conweis
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Mine are fearless... the only concern is what they will eat at lunch.
mrswillie
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Nothing really. We are such a small town, they already know everyone including school staff.
mrswillie
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:58 AM
When will they start school?

Quoting cemcnair: Mine are still little guys :)
kellysparkles
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:43 AM

My daughter isn't old enough for school so she's not nervous.

I was always nervous about just being around people - I'm very introverted.

othermom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM

My son this year it will be taking the bus and going to a new school. He starts middle school this year. My older daughter is not nervouse, she is excited to go back. Waiting to see if my youngest will get in to head start, otherwise she will have to wait till next year to start school

cemcnair
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Chase moves up to the prek4 program on Monday, but it's the same center he went to daycare and prek3 full time for basically his whole life. He loves the 4 teacher, and is excited to learn how to read.
Corwin moves up to the toddler room next month at the same center.

Chase's birthday falls after the cutoff, so he will not start k until just after his 6th birthday (2 more years). Unless I want to enroll him in a private k program at a different center.

Corwin is almost 17 months, he's got a while!

Quoting mrswillie: When will they start school?

Quoting cemcnair: Mine are still little guys :)
mom2jessnky
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Nothing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN