Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

First Day of School Jitters 101

Posted by   + Show Post

My father was in the Air Force, so every once and a while, I would head to a new school in a new city where I knew no one. Talk about having back-to-school nerves. For me, I was okay with new teachers, getting around the hallways and such. For me, the biggest fear: who I would eat lunch with. We've chatted about overall fears of heading back to school, but for many kids, it could be one specific thing they are getting a little freaked out about. If your older kids are heading back to school and seem okay, but maybe a little "off," see of one of these things are troubling them:

-- Combination locks. I mean, who doesn't remember this anxiety? This is a doozy, but easily remedied: nab your tween a lock to practice on in the weeks leading up to school. Also, when she does get her combination, help her memorize it and come up with tricks to remember it.

-- Harder classes. It is a totally normal feeling to be concerned about keeping up with the work. We've all been there. Support your child by reminding him of what he is good at and think of strategies that he can use if he's a little overwhelmed - or to prevent getting overwhelmed to begin with. Having a set study schedule, a calendar where he can track what is do when and plan out when to tackle what projects and so on can enable him to be on top of everything, even if it is more work than last year.

-- Not being in class with the BFFs. As classes get mixed around in elementary school or when everyone has a different schedule in middle school and high school, it can really throw off a kid when she's not with her good buddies. Once you get the class lists or figure out which kids share your child's homeroom, set up a few playdates or social time for them to get to know each other. Also, to keep the bonds with the older friends, try making a set time when she can see them each week or every other week after school.

What about the first day of school makes your kids nervous?

©iStockphoto.com/ hidesy 

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-39):
graycalico
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 6:43 AM
These are little things that are such a big deal! My dd was a little shell shocked the first few days of middle school. I'm hoping the transition to high school goes a little better.
lizzig
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM

this was the first time we've ever had to deal with jitters in our house.  in elementary school the kids were never anxious about starting a new school year. 

this year my oldest started middle school & was a bit nervous about it.  she was nervous she wouldn't be able to open her locker, would get lost & be late to classes.  she was afraid she wouldn't like her teachers.  we did allot of taking about her new school jitters the weeks before school started & i always tried to put a positive spin on her anxieties.  get lost?  you'll find other classes you may have later in the year.  can't open your locker?  you can ask someone for help making a new friend in the process.  she just finished her first week of middle school & had no issues!

kerryket
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

The same for my Junior, she knows her way around and is really looking forward to the fun stuff.

Quoting LaniBee:

Yesterday was registration day for my 8th grader (she's 13). I don't think she's stopped texting her friends yet to see what lunch they have and who's who in what class! She's not really nervous this year, though, because it's her second year at this school, so she knows the teachers, has the same friends and bus stop, etc. 

LaniBee
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Awww, that transition to middle school is a doozie! Both of my girls had the same exact worries. Hope your DD has a great year! 

Quoting lizzig:

this was the first time we've ever had to deal with jitters in our house.  in elementary school the kids were never anxious about starting a new school year. 

this year my oldest started middle school & was a bit nervous about it.  she was nervous she wouldn't be able to open her locker, would get lost & be late to classes.  she was afraid she wouldn't like her teachers.  we did allot of taking about her new school jitters the weeks before school started & i always tried to put a positive spin on her anxieties.  get lost?  you'll find other classes you may have later in the year.  can't open your locker?  you can ask someone for help making a new friend in the process.  she just finished her first week of middle school & had no issues!

Bob192
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:56 PM

My kiddos are pretty excited about going back.  I don't know of any worries they have.

cjsjellybean
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM

My kids aren't in school yet, but we just tried VBS for the first time with our 3 year old.  She hated leaving me.  She would cry and cling to me each of the 5 days, it didn't really get better as the week went on.  Hopefully once she starts school (probably next year) it will be better.

egyptian_mommy
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Getting used to a new teacher and which kids will be in their class/will any friends be in their class.
copperswifey
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 2:18 PM

My 6 year old loves going to school so I never have a problem with her. My 4 year old will be going a full day this year and her problem is she always says she misses me :(

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:34 PM

My youngest wasn't nervous. This is her 3rd year in this school. She started kinder here so she knows everyone. My oldest was more nervous about meeting new kids and teachers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)