Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Piercing babies ears

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

On an FB group I'm on there's a post about someone wanting to get her 4 month old's ears pierced. Apparently me asking why she would want to put her baby through pain and at risk of infection makes a 'judgemental bitch'. 
I just do not understand piercing a baby's ears.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephanie116
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:54 AM
To each there own I guess.

I had my first dd's ears pierced at 6 weeks and my second dd's ears pierced at 9 months. My dh and I wanted to have it done. We took responsibility of cleaning and turning them. Neither got an infection. They never played with them and they never bothered them. Both girls have a set of diamond earings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I won't pierce my dd's ears because I'm allergic to nickel and i don't want her to react without my knowing.

I wouldn't buy the cheap earrings many stores sell, but i want to wait until she asks and take her as a mommy daughter day like my mom did.
kellysparkles
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand it either, I don't think it's cute.  

Some of our family is actually getting on us about it becuase we don't want to pierce DD's ears till she's older.  They keep telling us she looks like a boy without them and they'll make her pretty.  We won't budge.

kellysparkles
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Same here - my ears are incredibly sensitive and I can only wear real gold, so I'd hate to put DD through that pain.  Also, I want to make a special day out of it, too :)

Quoting Firenygirl180: I won't pierce my dd's ears because I'm allergic to nickel and i don't want her to react without my knowing. I wouldn't buy the cheap earrings many stores sell, but i want to wait until she asks and take her as a mommy daughter day like my mom did.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
We chose not to pierce either of our dd's ears. My oldest got them done when she was responsible for caring for them and wanted them. She was 15 when she finally got them done. My youngest is only 5 but she'll have that choice as well (after age 12). I'm highly allergic to certain earrings so I didn't want any issues with my girls. DH originally wanted them to wait until they were/are adults but relented when he saw how responsible our oldest was.
kerryket
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
We waited until she asked.
conweis
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:14 AM
I got mine pierced as a teen and even after caring for them right and wearing them for months my ears still closed up the day after I took them out. Smh. Happen again when I got them repierced as an adult. If I ever have a daughtet she can wait but I don't judge otners.

Quoting mamamedic69: We chose not to pierce either of our dd's ears. My oldest got them done when she was responsible for caring for them and wanted them. She was 15 when she finally got them done. My youngest is only 5 but she'll have that choice as well (after age 12). I'm highly allergic to certain earrings so I didn't want any issues with my girls. DH originally wanted them to wait until they were/are adults but relented when he saw how responsible our oldest was.
jellyphish
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:36 AM
I don't understand it either. Baby doesn't want it and was never asked, those guns are absolutely horrible and the people behind them are not trained.
I'm going to take my seven year old to a shop to get hers pierced (correctly) soon and I'm really excited about doing that with her. I feel like it'll be a really good mommy/daughter experience I wouldn't have gotten in infancy.

I work in a salon and one of the hair girls has a gun. I saw her pierce an infant and she just screamed and screamed and screamed and her and her mom were laughing at her "get used to it, beauty is pain!" Really? THATS how you want to introduce the world to your daughter?! It made me so sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:06 AM

They say the healing time is faster when younger than older. Not sure if it is true? I waited until my dd was old enough to ask for it and want it.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM
Mine at first closed up too. I got them redone as an adult and I had to have earrings in for about a year before I could keep them out for any length of time.
I don't judge either. It's just not what we want for our girls.

Quoting conweis: I got mine pierced as a teen and even after caring for them right and wearing them for months my ears still closed up the day after I took them out. Smh. Happen again when I got them repierced as an adult. If I ever have a daughtet she can wait but I don't judge otners.

Quoting mamamedic69: We chose not to pierce either of our dd's ears. My oldest got them done when she was responsible for caring for them and wanted them. She was 15 when she finally got them done. My youngest is only 5 but she'll have that choice as well (after age 12). I'm highly allergic to certain earrings so I didn't want any issues with my girls. DH originally wanted them to wait until they were/are adults but relented when he saw how responsible our oldest was.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN