Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

What has happened to marriage

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:24 AM
  • 36 Replies

To have and to hold in sickness and health til death do us part!

I don't feel that this is true anymore.

What do you think has happened to marriage? Is it outdated.

Do we really need to be married to move forward in life with someone?

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suziejax
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I belive marriage is still a holy union.

stormcris
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I think marriage is sacred but not something that is best for everyone or every relationship. I think the lifestyle of the US is problematic to marriage and sanity in general. I don't think it is outdated.

jellyphish
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
For me, I think it's a bad idea. For many, it's probably a bad idea.

I think one reason divorce is on the rise is because we are becoming more aware of ourselves and unwilling to stay in a situation that holds us back. I don't think these things were true in the past.

In my case, I got married before I knew who I was and what I wanted. Marriage does not fit me in the least and staying married would have ruined my eternal soul and proved to have negative effects on our daughter. Divorce is a more difficult decision and path than anyone who hasn't gone through can ever understand. But it is necessary for some people, and many more people are able to muster the strength to do it than when it was considered taboo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I also strongly believe marriage should be between no one but the couple involved, the government should not be involved in a relationship on any level. Marriage should not need a seal of approval from the president.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Why don't you feel that's true anymore?

I've been married 29 years... my parents for 51. 

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
This is how I feel as well:

Quoting stormcris:

I think marriage is sacred but not something that is best for everyone or every relationship. I think the lifestyle of the US is problematic to marriage and sanity in general. I don't think it is outdated.

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Psst... divorce is not on the rise.

Quoting jellyphish: For me, I think it's a bad idea. For many, it's probably a bad idea. I think one reason divorce is on the rise is because we are becoming more aware of ourselves and unwilling to stay in a situation that holds us back. I don't think these things were true in the past. In my case, I got married before I knew who I was and what I wanted. Marriage does not fit me in the least and staying married would have ruined my eternal soul and proved to have negative effects on our daughter. Divorce is a more difficult decision and path than anyone who hasn't gone through can ever understand. But it is necessary for some people, and many more people are able to muster the strength to do it than when it was considered taboo.

EmptyNestMama
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Our 29th anniversary is coming up and you just don't see that a lot anymore!

Quoting LindaClement:

Why don't you feel that's true anymore?I've been married 29 years... my parents for 51. 

ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I think people need to do a  better job understand who they are marrying and not get so caught up in the wedding and other stuff that goes along with it.

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM

We celebrate every year with friends who were married 2 weeks before us.

Quoting EmptyNestMama:

Our 29th anniversary is coming up and you just don't see that a lot anymore!

Quoting LindaClement:

Why don't you feel that's true anymore?I've been married 29 years... my parents for 51. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)