Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

What has happened to marriage

Posted by   + Show Post

To have and to hold in sickness and health til death do us part!

I don't feel that this is true anymore.

What do you think has happened to marriage? Is it outdated.

Do we really need to be married to move forward in life with someone?

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Replies (31-36):
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I think marriage is wonderful but many people either rush in to marriage or do not put 100% into marriage. Also, in the past women would stay with cheaters and abusive men (same for men) and now that divorce is not as "taboo" women feel fine leaving those marriages. Just my thoughts, when I volunteered at a nursing home, a woman said she stayed married despite abuse and being cheated on because she thought it was better then being divorced but she said if she lived in this generation she would have left him.

Mom2jngnc
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM

It is hard to say if divorce is on the rise or not. I know my 2nd grader, is one of maybe 5 kids in his class that doesn't list a seperate address for one parent. 

We got married young, does it work for everyone? no...... we weren't set in our ways yet. So we have grown and evoloved with eachother, over the last 20 years. We both got married with the "we will only do this once" theory. 

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:51 AM
It is up to the couple.
sarahjz
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I don't think it's outdated, I think it's easier, and more socially acceptable now, for people to leave bad marriages.  When my grandmother was raising her children it would have been very difficult for her to leave her husband (not that she wanted to) find work, and raise a family on her own.  It is still very difficult to do, but more manageable these days.

egyptian_mommy
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:34 PM
I don't think there's a simple answer. I think in part it's just a different world. Back when our grandparents got married and before most women were raised to be wives. That was the goal and if she didn't get married by a certain age she was considered an old maid and there was a stigma attached. Also, divorce was more frowned upon. A divorced woman wasn't looked at in the best light. So, many women stuck it out rather than face that stigma. Many people think it's just that people are...less proper, less God fearing, whatever you want to call it these days. But I don't think it's that simple in general.
EmptyNestMama
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:04 PM

This is true! Maybe it is easier to get a divorce and more accepted if they do!

Quoting sarahjz:

I don't think it's outdated, I think it's easier, and more socially acceptable now, for people to leave bad marriages.  When my grandmother was raising her children it would have been very difficult for her to leave her husband (not that she wanted to) find work, and raise a family on her own.  It is still very difficult to do, but more manageable these days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN