Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

When teens get pregnant, who is to blame?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 132 Replies

just honest opinions. would you blame the guy, the girl, the parents, the media, etc. just please only serious answers and give reasons. thanks soooo much.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM
11 moms liked this
It really depends on the situation but I'd say in general it's everyone's fault. The girl, the guy, both their parents, society.....

Rather then place blame, I'd rather just focus on the future. Playing the blame game helps no one.
jellyphish
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends on what happened. Were the kids irresponsible? Drunk? Uneducated? Unloved? Exposed to media they shouldn't have been? Abused?
There are just way too many factors to assume a blanket cause.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM
8 moms liked this

The teens who were at it?

It's hard to blame anyone but the participants... although ignorance certainly does nothing at all to curb the teen pregnancy rate, I feel that problem goes a lot deeper than merely sex ed:

When we lie to children about the purpose and function of their bodies --from telling them they're not hungry because the clock says so, to they are tired because the clock says so, and they must sit still because the school says so, and they didn't make a bad smell because etiquette says so, to the blurred-out, censored or simply omitted parts of their bodies in virtually every 'body' book aimed at children under 16, all we're really saying is 'that part of your life is secret, dangerous, unreal or not open for language --or the kinds of thoughts that require language to think, like active and intelligent decision making regarding, oooh, everything.

Food choices.

Food volume.

When to go to bed.

What to do with how those parts feel.

What to do about physiological attraction.

How to cope with powerful (never referred to) feelings, like fury and lust and depression and grief.

What to do with agitation in school when sitting is the only option available.

What to do with fatigue when continuing to produce is the only option available.

We have made bodies something that a huge proportion of people are barely aware of, mostly from an 'over there' perspective... 

Add to that the sexualization of skin, breasts, lips, hair, hands, shoulders, legs, buttocks, bellies ... in images that are everywhere... 

Let's all pretend we're surprised when teens thoughtlessly do what their bodies seem to be in control of...

Stephanie116
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:43 PM
3 moms liked this
Why place blame? What's done is done. As already mentioned, focus on the future.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

The two people that bumped uglies are to blame.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:35 PM

No reason to place blame after the fact :)

proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:06 PM
Never really thought about it.
KRIZZ25
we try to make excuses for ower kids bad behavior. when its ower fault for letting it happen in first place.we need to show them how to behave. dont make excuses ..make solutions ..
Monday at 9:54 PM
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:07 PM
the girl,boy ..if she is thats she is grown and can have sex than she is at fault.
liveforever
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:32 PM
2 moms liked this

The teens who were involved.

I got pregnant at 19. I know its not considered "teen" by some people since I was living on my own and all...but still, I was 19.

No one was to blame but me and my now dh. The media did not influence me. Yes, my parents taught me better, but Im a person with a mind of my own. I made the choice, we were a little under the influence and didnt use proper protection, and were the only ones to blame.

graycalico
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 6:53 AM
3 moms liked this
I think there are a lot of factors that contribute but I don't think any one is to blame, depending on the situation. I was a teen mom and I took full responsibility for my daughter from day 1. The situation wasn't ideal and I don't promote teen parenthood in any way but my daughter was my life from the second she was born. I don't consider her existence to be a mistake or something to be ashamed of so I don't see why I'd blame anybody else for her conception.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)