Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Beauty Tips for My Daughter

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 50 Replies

I really am digging those Dove campaigns, the ones that highlight how skewed our views of our own beauty is...they are truly changing the convos about the media's emphasis on certain types of beauty and the whole myth of Hollywood's standard of beauty and all that.

It's great, but when it comes down to the "everydayness" of teaching Kiddo to have a good relationship with that mirror, a healthy idea of her own beauty and beauty in general, it comes down to me (insert a sarcastic "yay"). That's a biggie parent task, right?

I saw this collection of candid pics over at BoredPanda, of moms and daughters being happy, being themselves, just letting that inner light shine, and it made me think about what I am doing on a day-to-day basis to help Kiddo along this tricky beauty path. For some of it, it's teaching her good, healthy beauty tips. My top six: 

1. Always apply sunscreen...always.

2. Always washing your face before bedtime no matter how tired you may be.

3. Trying to keep your hands off of your face (those germs and dirt on those hands can clog more pores than we think).

4. Less is more - when it comes to makeup and jewelry and any sort of things with glitter.

5. Classics are classics for a reason and are always a good option.

6. Water is your friend. Dehydration affects your skin, your body and your mind.

The other thing I'm trying on a daily basis? To show her, not tell her, how to feel beautiful. That beauty doesn't really have anything to do with what we look like. Laughing, finding a passion, conquering a problem, moving your body, choosing kindness and positive thoughts, being with people that bring out the best in us and vice versa - all of that makes someone beautiful and makes you feel beautiful.

What are your best beauty tips you want to share with your kids?

©iStockphoto.com/Hidesy 

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caralicious
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:15 AM
When wearing foundation blush or eyeshadow blend blend blend! And always focus on one feature for each makeup look.
wandep
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Those are good tips.

johnny4ever
Today at 9:27 AM
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 7:58 AM

I cant give my son much beauty tips...lol

LaniBee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:03 AM

We focus on natural and healthy - inside and out.  I have 2 teen daughters so this is a topic that comes up a lot!   

goddess99
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Helping people and animals, and giving back makes you beautiful on the inside.

jellyphish
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Diet.
Smiles.
Hygenie.
Confidence.
Attitude.
Posture.

My eldest is only seven, so these are the kinds of things I talk about right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahjz
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I don't really have any beauty tips.  Drinking lots of water is good though.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM

I love all of these!  I definitely agree with the less is more and keeping your hands off your face.

cemcnair
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM
I think hygiene tips are better for boys (but who knows, my sons may someday be really into mascara-then I can give make up tips!!)

I make sure they know they have to brush their teeth and wash their faces. They must take a bath and wash hands. And, as they get older, we will talk about other hygiene elements. Boys may not wear makeup, but overall appearance and hygiene still need to be a consideration.

Quoting johnny4ever:

I cant give my son much beauty tips...lol

cemcnair
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM
I like thinking of attitude as a beauty feature!! Thank you!

Quoting jellyphish: Diet.
Smiles.
Hygenie.
Confidence.
Attitude.
Posture.

My eldest is only seven, so these are the kinds of things I talk about right now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN