Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Secrets In The Kitchen?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 84 Replies
2 moms liked this

One place where we all may keep a few mom secrets: the kitchen. From "being out of" that really-not-good-for-them snack to telling them that their favorite superhero eats zucchini all of the time, we have fibbed for the sake of health.

Now, I'm not a huge fan of sneaking in veggies where they don't know it's there. I think kids should learn to love veggies in a full-on, they are on the plate way. But, that doesn't mean I'm averse to making some fave meals a little healthier, substituting some lighter and low-sodium fixings in place of the usual, not-as-healthy items.

What am I eyeing as a new secret recipe or two? Well, we've got a few healthier versions of condiments and sauces, some good-for-you meatballs that include some veggies as well as a smoothie that has fabulous vitamins disguised as a yummy drink snack.

Homemade Healthy Ketchup from Skinnyms.com

1 (6-ounce) can or jar tomato paste, (recipe for Homemade "Canned" Tomato Paste)

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Kosher or sea salt to taste

1 tablespoon mustard

2 tablespoons mild molasses, (honey is optional), more or less to taste

1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar

1⁄4 cup water

In a medium bowl, add all ingredients, and stir until combined; refrigerate in a glass jar with lid. Ketchup will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Light Cheese Sauce from EatingWell.com

5 teaspoons all-purpose flour

1 1/4 cups nonfat milk, divided

2/3 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika

Cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)

1/4 teaspoon salt

Whisk flour with 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Heat the remaining milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming. Add the flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in Cheddar, dry mustard, paprika, cayenne (if using) and salt.

Healthy Meatballs from ThrivingHomeBlog.com

1 medium carrot, minced in food processor

1/2 small onion, minced in food processor (saute these in a little olive oil if you want a milder onion taste)

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/3 cup fresh loosely packed parsley, finely chopped in food processor

1/2 cup fresh, finely grated Parmesan cheese

1 egg

1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs

3 tablespoons organic ketchup

1 1/4 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoons pepper

1 lb grass-fed ground beef

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet that has sides or a 9x13 casserole dish with parchment paper or foil (for easy clean-up). In a large bowl, add the carrot, onion, garlic, parsley, Parmesan, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, salt and pepper to a large bowl and combine. Mix in the ground beef. Use your hands to combine well. Using about 2 tablespoons of mixture per meatball, roll out 15 meatballs. They will be about 1 or 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place these on the cookie sheet, leaving a little room between each one. Bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked through. I cut one open and make sure there is no pink in the middle.

Pasta Bake from Parents.com

1 1/3 cups  dried elbow macaroni

2 cups pasta sauce

2/3 cup pureed cooked cauliflower

2/3 cup pureed cooked broccoli

1/2 8-ounce can tomato sauce

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons whipping cream (optional)

1 1/3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large pot cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and return to pot. Stir in pasta sauce, cauliflower, broccoli, tomato sauce, Parmesan, whipping cream, and 1 cup of the mozzarella. Transfer to a 2-quart square or rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until heated through.

Sunshine Smoothie from SheKnows.com

1/2 cup baby carrots

1/2 cup orange juice

1 cup frozen pineapple chunks

3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt

1/2 cup frozen mango chunks

1 tablespoon honey

If you do not have frozen fruit to use for the smoothies, fresh fruit will work just fine. If using fresh fruit, make sure to add 1-2 cups of ice to the other ingredients before blending. Add all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth. If you find the consistency of your smoothies to be too thick, add small amounts of water or milk until desired consistency is achieved.

Share your best recipes or kitchen hints that may have a little secret something to them!

©iStockphoto.com/ Marekuliasz 

by on Sep. 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linds2Horse
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 1:42 AM
I don't have any wild ingredient recipes that compare to these. My closest example is that I sometimes sprinkle chunky sea salt on the top of my chocolate chip cookies before I bake them.
wandep
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 7:27 AM

I don't have any.

goddess99
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 7:38 AM

I don't have any either.

johnny4ever
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 8:33 AM

I add sugar to my Sloppy Joes whle it is cooking. 

kerryket
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 9:40 AM

There is no law against mixing some of the sugary cereals the kids love with a healthier choice, they get the best of both!

janessa27
by Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I don't have any~ but the Sunshine smoothie sounds yummy!

janessa27
by Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Quoting kerryket:

There is no law against mixing some of the sugary cereals the kids love with a healthier choice, they get the best of both!

I love this idea! I am definitely going to try that.

LaniBee
by Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I guess I don't have any kitchen "secrets". 

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I think 'hiding' foods is a mistake.

Kids often have very good reasons for not liking the smell or flavour of specific foods (in the case of broccoli, it's too high in sulfur for their kidneys to handle which is dangerous) so when we undermine that, we not only risk their health, but risk turning them off eating a food they used to like --because their bodies can tell it's got something in it they have already got too much of, or are developing a sensitivity to.

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Happily, by the time my kids encountered that sugary crap they were so used to the flavour and texture of real food all they could taste was the fake: additives, flavourings, texturizers.

They never ended up eating cold cereal... even as adults. 

Quoting kerryket:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)