Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Grandparents favoring one grandchild over the other?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:52 AM
  • 127 Replies

How do you deal with grandparents favoring one kid over another? Really bothers me.

by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:00 AM
I'm so sorry you are dealing with that. I have been blessed to not deal with that.

I hear it happens, but I wish I had advice for you, all I can say is I'm sorry. :-/
LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

huggingI'm sorry I don't know what to do either because I'm dealing with it right now with my in laws. I have tried talking to them epsically my mil but she doesn't listen and she goes to my husband complaining about what I have said to her and I have tried talking to my husband but he doesn't see what I see. I really bothers me and upset me because they do so much with my oldest and leave my youngest out. My dad doesn't favor any of his grandkids he treats them all the same.

wandep
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Sorry, my family does that too (sorta) but I think it evens out because each side of family favors the one child.

thatgirl70
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

When it comes to buying gifts and such, my MIL is fair. She'll get all the kids equal things, so that is not an issue.

But beyond that, I can see where her preferences lie. My son is special needs, so she doesn't like dealing with him as much. She's gotten better about it, but not as much as I think she should. She's willing (to a point) to watch the other kids, but although she says she would hours, I think she would do it only if forced (which I'm not about to to). She favors the girl grandchildren more than any, because she wanted a daughter (she has an adult granddaughter, and that granddaughter has a daughter).

sarahjz
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:56 AM

I don't think there really is a way to deal with it....no way to fix it, anyway.  Not that I have found.  It's a sucky situation.

ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Yikes, I'm sorry. That's not very loving. 

othermom
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:09 AM

That is tough. In my case it is not one grand kid, it is a set of Grandkids. Thankfully the other sets of Grandparents are fair with the kids so we try not to stress over it

conweis
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this
I kept all my kids away from SO's mother cause of her favoritism.
brittany208
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:37 AM
I'm not sure what I would do
Saucy1
Darkness appeals to me at the moment. I can't wait for gloomy winter days.
Yesterday at 2:20 PM
by Kristina on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM

My patents favor my daughter. They know they can't just have one, they have to have them all or none. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)