Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tough Diagnosis - Trusting God

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 174 Total Views

I've been rather quiet the last few days--spent most of my time praying and shedding tears for my son.

Last week he went to see the ENT doctor. A few weeks ago I mentioned that I was seeing a difference in him and I thought it was a memory problem. Then he began to complain about his ear, so I took him to the primary physician, and the nurse cleaned his ear. Two days later the doctor's office called and said that Trent should go to see the ENT.

"Back to this again," I thought. When he was younger the doctor put tubes in Trent's ears three times over a period of about seven years. I thought that was the end of it unless he had more problems.

The doctor explained to me that Trent would need surgery in both ears-plus have his tonsils and adenoids removed. He talked about other things, but I was to later find out that he was careful in how he worded things because he knew that Trent understood much of what was said and Trent was already scared.

Since we are taking him to the Down Syndrome Clinic next week, I needed to get the reports from all of the doctors he has seen. So I went back to the ENT yesterday and asked for the papers from his recent visit. The diagnosis was Cholesteatoma. When I got home, I began to research the word Cholesteatoma. It turns out that it is a benigh tumor. But I read on... although it is benign, it can cause mass destruction. It has already taken almost all of the hearing from his left ear. It can go into the brain and can also cause meningitis. Surgery can cause nerve damage on that side of the face. But there is no other option than surgery.

Trent is on ear drops, nasal spray, and antibiotics (because of the infection in the middle ear). After three weeks of being on the medication, he will have a CT scan. Then the doctor will see him again and schedule the surgery. This is very common with people who have Down Syndrome. Further researched showed me that Trent should have been having a hearing test every year. No one ever told me that--or else I don't remember anyone telling me that. I am usually on top of all these things, but I missed this. If any of you out there have a child who has Down Syndrome, please get his or her hearing tested every year.

In the meantime...we are praying and trusting God for the outcome. God is in control and Trent is in his hands. Thank you for letting me share this with all of you.

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
lifeisajoy
by Group Owner on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Praying for Trent and your family. Though it is hard trust in God

darbyakeep45
by Co-owner on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Praying for you and your family mama...hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)