Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

its not the same!!!! a little rant

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 349 Total Views
I have been seeing a picture circulating around the internet. It's a picture of an Israeli teacher with a gun slung on her shoulder while leading a bunch of kids down the street with a rant under it saying how we need to protect our children. Every time a friend posts it I just say "it's not the same" because it's not! There are not enough words in the world to describe how it's just not the same damn thing.

Rant over. Sorry if I offended anyone.n
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mesh2
by Group Owner on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Two totally different countries, two totally different mentalities, and two totally different realities. 

TableforSeven
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Not sure I'm following this.  Sorry

poshkat
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM

If teachers were carrying guns, there wouldn't be school shootings. These sick cowards go where they know there will be defenseless people. Schools. Movie theaters. Since Israel armed their teachers in the 70's, school shootings are virtually non-existent. The evil people just strap on bombs now over there and blow up people; so that tells me that evil will find a way to inflict its sick acts upon...
its targets when it desires.

When are we going to wake up in this country and change our views on how we are allowed to protect ourselves from sick people? Taking guns away from people and not allowing them to protect themselves is criminal. And if people think that banning guns will suddenly cure the problem, I would like to point out that drugs are illegal, but people can readily obtain them. I bet the parents of those dead kids sure wished the janitor, the principal, or a teacher were armed; their kid may still be alive. And exactly what IS an assault weapon anyway? Anything can be considered an assault weapon. It takes human intervention to make an inanimate object become evil. People control, my friends is the answer; not gun control. ~ Mercury

poshkat
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM

couldn't do it on mobile and couldn't get to my computer until just now. i know there is an 8 hour difference between us. :)

Quoting TableforSeven:

Not sure I'm following this.  Sorry

TableforSeven
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I've seen the picture a ton of times....the commentary, obviously, is new.

i agree with the first part about allowing teachers to be armed.  I don't agree with the bomb-comment though as the breed if psychos here in Israel isn't the same as your average nut-job.

interesting though

poshkat
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:06 PM
Quoting TableforSeven:

I've seen the picture a ton of times....the commentary, obviously, is new.

i agree with the first part about allowing teachers to be armed.  I don't agree with the bomb-comment though as the breed if psychos here in Israel isn't the same as your average nut-job.

interesting though

I've only seen it the last few days with people who are posting about the massacre in Connecticut. I don't think the two are even close to comparing. I never had a teacher who was armed, but I was around my brother's gun when he came home for weekends and I knew better than to touch it. I was used to soldiers everywhere as a kid and still feel weird after 19 years here without the presence of soldiers.
momof3inTN
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I do not agree with arming our teachers. I think, in the USA, that would be a recipe for disaster! We wouldn't need to worry about people bringing guns into schools, they'd already be there. Not to mention that a teachers job is the kids not trying to take out some crazy person. I can only imagine how much greater the number of innocent lives lost would have been had a teacher tried to unlock and then load a weapon instead of hiding children or getting them out of the building. I'm sorry but the brief training you need to go through to get a gun is not enough to give the teachers in the US the knowledge needed to use that gun in an emergency situation.

Now you want to put more armed guards or, even better, some of our veterans (who have been well trained for these types of situations) in and outside of the schools to protect the kids, be my guest. I would welcome that. No one should send their child to school afraid they may never see them again. But there is NO WAY I would send any of my children to a school in the USA where the teachers were the ones with the guns.

(Again, Israel is a much different society than here. Just because it works there does not mean it would work here)

momto2boys973
by Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this
IMHO, the U.S needs less guns, no more. Israel is a different country, serving in the Army isn't optional so pretty much every adult is trained in how to use a gun, safety, and basic combat training. That cannot be compared to handling a bunch of untrained people guns hoping that in an emergency they're clear headed enough to use it properly. The threats are also completely different, so it's not comparable. Not in the slightest.
Lanesmommy26
by New Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM

this is a complicated subject with A LOT of different views.  I have taught special education for ten years in the same district and I've watched how things have changed since I was in highschool my senior year when the Columbine shootings happened, to now where every door is locked and requires a key card to access the doors.  People without a badge coded to enter a particular school must enter through a locked door that is controled by the office staff.  Once the person is inside the lobby, they are detoured to the school office, they are unable to access the inside of the school, as the door is locked and only accessible by the office staff.  The trouble is, it only takes one crazy person to start shooting in the office, click the button and they are in. As a teacher, I don't feel that being armed is the answer.  While I have a have been to the range with my husband, shot hand guns, riffles and shot guns, so its not that I feel like I could handle it, I do.  I just feel that every district hiring an armed guard on every campus from elementary, junior high to high school campuses.  Most high school's already employ an armed guard, but I think we need it all the way down to the elementary schools.  If this tragedy has taught us anything, its that people are capable of ANYTHING.  I would be willing to take a 1% pay cut in order to accomodate paying the armed guard to be at my daughter's school, as well as my school!!!  There are just too many issues with a teacher having a gun in the classroom.  Especially actively wearing the gun while teaching.  I could just forsee a large number of issues.  My biggest thing is that individuals make the choice to go to the mall, movies, out ot eat, work at a federal building, heck I even made the choice to teach and work in a school...BUT where is the ONLY place that individuals don't have the choice of going, SCHOOL.  Our children are required by federal law to be educated from the age of 6 to 18.  Most families opt to have their children attend public or private school, therefore our children are placed in an environment that they are required to be there and it is supposed to be SAFE.  The trouble is, we have seen how NOT safe it can be and that scares me to death.  While I don't agree that having teachers armed like we do in Israel would be beneficial, I do believe in protecting our children, teachers, and school staff members.  By having armed guards in the schools, I hope that unbalanced individuals, off their "rocker" parents, would think twice about coming into the school and causing injury to anyone.  The trouble is that most of the unbalanced individuals that find their way into buildings to cause harm to others, eventually end their own life.  I just often wish that these individuals would either seek help, those that know them would get them help or that they would take their own life LONG before they hurt others!!! 

poshkat
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:29 AM

while i agree with you, i still think there is no comparison here. non at all. its different over there than it is here because of the different circumstances of the different situations.  its just not the same. i don't really know how to explain it, there really are no words. this picture and many others like it upset me because i just can't explain it.  

Quoting Lanesmommy26:

this is a complicated subject with A LOT of different views.  I have taught special education for ten years in the same district and I've watched how things have changed since I was in highschool my senior year when the Columbine shootings happened, to now where every door is locked and requires a key card to access the doors.  People without a badge coded to enter a particular school must enter through a locked door that is controled by the office staff.  Once the person is inside the lobby, they are detoured to the school office, they are unable to access the inside of the school, as the door is locked and only accessible by the office staff.  The trouble is, it only takes one crazy person to start shooting in the office, click the button and they are in. As a teacher, I don't feel that being armed is the answer.  While I have a have been to the range with my husband, shot hand guns, riffles and shot guns, so its not that I feel like I could handle it, I do.  I just feel that every district hiring an armed guard on every campus from elementary, junior high to high school campuses.  Most high school's already employ an armed guard, but I think we need it all the way down to the elementary schools.  If this tragedy has taught us anything, its that people are capable of ANYTHING.  I would be willing to take a 1% pay cut in order to accomodate paying the armed guard to be at my daughter's school, as well as my school!!!  There are just too many issues with a teacher having a gun in the classroom.  Especially actively wearing the gun while teaching.  I could just forsee a large number of issues.  My biggest thing is that individuals make the choice to go to the mall, movies, out ot eat, work at a federal building, heck I even made the choice to teach and work in a school...BUT where is the ONLY place that individuals don't have the choice of going, SCHOOL.  Our children are required by federal law to be educated from the age of 6 to 18.  Most families opt to have their children attend public or private school, therefore our children are placed in an environment that they are required to be there and it is supposed to be SAFE.  The trouble is, we have seen how NOT safe it can be and that scares me to death.  While I don't agree that having teachers armed like we do in Israel would be beneficial, I do believe in protecting our children, teachers, and school staff members.  By having armed guards in the schools, I hope that unbalanced individuals, off their "rocker" parents, would think twice about coming into the school and causing injury to anyone.  The trouble is that most of the unbalanced individuals that find their way into buildings to cause harm to others, eventually end their own life.  I just often wish that these individuals would either seek help, those that know them would get them help or that they would take their own life LONG before they hurt others!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)