Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Started Shabbat dinner already -- **update.....done**

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:22 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 232 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Oh my....our house smells AMAZING already and I _just_ put things in the oven.

I decided to start roasting the Chicken for Shabbat this morning because I want to make soup from the carcases as well.  I brushed on olive oil, sprinkled on salt, pepper, rosemary, paprika, parsley and oregano.

I'm also making a small roast this week - I just sprinkled it with salt and pepper, covered it with red-onion chunks and wine.

They have only been in the oven for about 30 minutes and I am already starving for them!

**UPDATE.....DONE!!!**

So now I am REALLY hungry after the roasting yesterday and cooking all day today.  Thought I would share the menu for this Shabbat:

Fri night dinner - chicken soup, roasted chicken, couscous, corn, roasted green beans, potato bourekas, Israeli salad.....plus pickles and fresh challah from the bakery - and DD#2 made a big chocolate chip pan-cookie for dessert

Sat lunch - beef roast, rice&peppers in tomato sauce, any leftovers from tonight (except the soup).....plus more fresh challah from the bakery

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lbzmom
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Yummm, sound delicious!!!

I need to make chicken soup too.  We just used up the last container I had in the freezer last night.  The soup tasted okay, but could have been better. It seems that chicken soup just doesnt taste the same as it did when I was younger, personally, I think it is the quality of the chicken.  What do you put in your soup?

TableforSeven
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lbzmom:

Yummm, sound delicious!!!

I need to make chicken soup too.  We just used up the last container I had in the freezer last night.  The soup tasted okay, but could have been better. It seems that chicken soup just doesnt taste the same as it did when I was younger, personally, I think it is the quality of the chicken.  What do you put in your soup?

We keep it simple.  Once I take most of the meet off of the roast, I throw everything in the pot.  The spices from roasting really add a good flavor to the broth.  Once the broth is done, I take out the bones/meat - then i pull any meat chunks off and throw them back in the pot.  I just throw in a little cut up onion and carrots before cooking that through....and heat once again before serving.

lbzmom
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Thanks! I'm going to go shopping and start on this later!  

lbzmom
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

You inspired me... I've got an extra large pot of chicken soup on the stove and potatoes and chicken breast in the crock pot....

TableforSeven
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Bump for update

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)