Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chometz, glorious, chometz!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 209 Total Views
1 mom liked this
I missed it so much, lol!
I went to Walmart today and bought pastas, breads, pitas, tortillas and all that I had a craving for last week! Needless to say it was filled with fellow Jews doing the exact same thing! Lol
How was your Passover?
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TableforSeven
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Pesach was WONDERFUL here. Our first one living in Israel. I have to admit, one of my favorite things was only ONE SEDER!!!! WooHoo!
We were so busy during the interim days that I didn't even care that we weren't eating bread,etc. The only thing I did miss was not being able to cook an 'easy' meal (I missed making a quick pot of rice!).
Pesach ended at sunset on Monday here - and the only chametz I've eaten since was pizza crust - and we did make rice with dinner last might.

It will be very nice having Challah for Shabbat this week though!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof3inTN
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM

My kids gorged on pretzels, rice cakes, sandwiches and chips yesterday. LOL And I'm enjoying being able to fix easy dinners again (spaghetti last night!).

momto2boys973
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Oh, yeah, I would love the one Seder thing, lol.
I mean, the second Seder was really reheating food from the first Seder, but still is another late night.
I'm guessing it's also easier in Israel, maybe more Pesach products and most stores not carrying chametz stuff anyway. Do restaurants open?
momto2boys973
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting momof3inTN:

My kids gorged on pretzels, rice cakes, sandwiches and chips yesterday. LOL And I'm enjoying being able to fix easy dinners again (spaghetti last night!).

Spaghetti was our first meal after Passover.

I guess what I also miss the most is my every day kitchen! For Pesach, I really have the basics. I love that I can use again all my gadgets and my spices.
TableforSeven
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Quoting momto2boys973:

I mean, the second Seder was really reheating food from the first Seder, but still is another late night.
I'm guessing it's also easier in Israel, maybe more Pesach products and most stores not carrying chametz stuff anyway. Do restaurants open?

I would have thought food would be easier to find here....and it is, IF you are Sfardi (which we aren't).  There was a TON of kosher for Pesach food here....but much of it had kitniot - so I found myself reading labels pretty much for the first time since we got here.  LOL.  Dont get me wrong...we did NOT starve.....there was plenty we could eat, and I am used to making almost everything from scratch for Pesach anyway, so it wasn't a huge deal.

Having less Yom Tovs was very nice as well.  We were really able to go out and DO a lot more.

The kids were very happy about the single Seder...they can enjoy everything once - but the second time around they get bored and distracted.

TableforSeven
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momto2boys973:

Sorry...just realized I only half-answered you.

SOME restaurants were open....With very small menus available.

Obviously ALL of the bakeries were closed.....at least all of the ones in our town. 

The grocery store was the most interesting thing....they had entire aisles blocked off (the aisles with pastas and snack foods...etc.  other areas had covers over the food...either a whole side of an aisle (where the cereal is) or covering ares with other spots cut out for food that you COULD buy.

I took pictures....I'll have to find and post them - I'll put them in a new thread in a minute.

GGGRRRR!!!! Hopefully I will remember to post pictures another time.  DH deleted them from my phone while doing updates on it yesterday and they are all in my Dropbox...which my tablet and phone won't let me access to post pictures on-line from.  So I have to wait until I'm on DH's 'real' computer sometime to post ANY of my pictures!  He thought he was being helpful. :-/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)