• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not in OUR town you don't!! **UPDATE**

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:11 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 390 Total Views

LONG story short.....a family from the US recently moved to our town who we have discovered are Messianics (aka Christians pretending to be Jewish) looking to start a community in our town - as well as planning to evangelize those already here (which is actually illegal to do in Israel....but that's not the point).

It has been decided by the Anlgo community - after discussing it with all of the town Rabbis - that we are NOT going to include them.  Normally when a new family moves in, we rally around them -help them out with anything they need while they get established, invite them for meals/Shabbat, etc.  There will be NONE of that.  They had an agreement to rent a place starting Aug 1 -- other people were in there and just moved out.....so they have been in a temp rental since they arrived.  Once their plan/etc was discovered the Moroccan-realtor for the place they were to move into contacted the native Israeli-Jewish owners and it was decided to cancel their agreement and refund the money they used to reserve it.  They speak no Hebrew and most people in this town speak little to no English....so I'm really not sure how they have even been getting things handled to this point.  

We heard that something like this happened here in town a few years ago as well.  A Christian family moved in and tried to evangelize.  They were basically run out of town by the community (they were not Anglos).

Dont get me wrong....there are plenty of other Christians living in our town....about 1/3 of the town are Russian or Arab Christians.  But they are not here trying to establish a Christian community....and they are definitely not evangelizing - there isn't even a single church in our town.  So it isn't like we are booting out any Christians who decide they want to call this wonderful town home. But -there are some lines that we CANNOT allow to be crossed.

Im sure some will find us to be horrible,  etc.....but we need to protect ourselves. We are Jews living in the Jewish home-land....we should not have to deal with people trying to convert us!

ok.....I feel better now - I can't bitch about this on Facebook because I have Christian friends/family who would be highly offended...and I figured a Jewish board here on CM is a safe place to vent/let it out.

**UPDATE**

OK...so - here's the latest.

ALL of the Rabbis in town have warned their congregations about this family being here - and news of them has spread to everyone.  We thought they might be moving to another town since their rental fell through....but apparently they have managed to secure a new local rental.  No one has any clue how, or which realtor they used.  

The owners of the shipping company they used for their stuff from the US are local Jews (friends of ours).  We found out the the messy family went BEHIND THE SHIPPER'S BACKS - and contacted the port directly to reroute their items and reschedule their delivery (you just don't DO that (going behind your shipper'sback)).  But, they apparently wanted to make sure NOONE who 'knows' them knows where they are moving in.  They apparently don't realize that the shipper still has access to (and is, technically, responsible for) their shipment and that they WILL be contacting the port early this week to find out exactly where, and when, this shipment is going to be delivered.  That way we can keep an eye on them.

We are "circling our wagons" because before they un-friended everyone in town it was noted that SEVERAL of their follow "congregants" were working on their paperwork with NbN and were very interested in moving to Ma'alot.  We are feeling quite 'targeted' at the moment -- especially since it seems they are still planning to settle in here in town.  

I have not, personally, bumped into them in town.....though I am keeping an eye, and ear, out for them at all times.

NbN and the Jewish Agency have been alerted to their leak.  They both seemed to take it seriously at first but now no one at NbN will discuss the matter with anyone who calls (not even with them men who first contacted THEM)!  The only person from NbN who seems at all concerned still is our local rep (who lives right here in town and feels very guilty that he helped, even encouraged, this family to put down roots here).

Anyway....that is the latest -- I just wish we knew WHERE they were moving to - it HAS to be soon.  I guess it is better if they stay local as every Jew in town is well aware of them and on the lookout -- if they were to move elsewhere,it might take a while to contact the proper people in a new area.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momof3inTN
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:43 AM

:-) vent away! You all do what you need to do. 

The main goal of the (so called) messianics is to convert Jews. That should be unacceptable in the Jewish homeland. (I wish it was illegal here, I cannot stand evangelical Christians)

How did they get into the country? I thought there'd been a huge problem with messianics a few years ago and the government cracked down and made it harder for them to move in?

TableforSeven
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:13 AM

That is what we are all trying to figure out.  It is VERY hard to make Aliyah - you MUST prove your Jewish heritage.  From what we have been told....they were calling themselves "reconstructionist" when directly asked and said they were "secular".  We are assuming that either one of them has a Jewish ancestor (as long as there is one grandparent on the mother's side who is Jewish and that can been proven.....then they are allowed in using the Law of Return.  Also - converts are allowed....is it extremely difficult for an Orthodox conversion, but for Conservative/Reform/Reconstructionist the process is fairly simple.  I'm not sure what "proof" of Judaism they used -- but it is very obvious that no checking into things was done.

Members of our local community have not only talked to all of the local Rabbis.....but have contacted Nefesh B'Nefesh since there is an obvious hole that needs to be plugged.  The local NbN rep is in shock and trying to figure out how this happened.  

I think this family is quite shocked that we figured them out....and quite quickly.  I guess they didn't know that SEVERAL of our families are well-aware of the Messianics and who they are.  Aside from the obvious.....one reason that we NEEDED to stop this and call them out right away is that when you look at their Facebook page - you see SEVERAL of their friends from their "synagogue" in the US saying how happy they are about the community here and how they "can't wait to join" this family by moving here and how they have started their paperwork with NbN and the Jewish Agency.  Hopefully the government can plug this hole before the leak gets too big!

Quoting momof3inTN:

:-) vent away! You all do what you need to do. 

The main goal of the (so called) messianics is to convert Jews. That should be unacceptable in the Jewish homeland. (I wish it was illegal here, I cannot stand evangelical Christians)

How did they get into the country? I thought there'd been a huge problem with messianics a few years ago and the government cracked down and made it harder for them to move in?

collectivecow
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

You did the right thing.

TableforSeven
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Bump for update

collectivecow
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Uch!

momof3inTN
by Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM

NbN brought them in???  Wow... but it's better that you all know, if they switched towns it'd be a lot harder to find them and warn the town. At least you all know they are there and can watch them.

Have you all contacted the immigration authority? If they misused the law of return they should know... they can do more than NbN or the Jewish agency.

TableforSeven
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM

There is one family taking the lead on alerting the appropriate agencies.  The problem with the "how" of them getting in is that we don't know if they lied.  They COULD have Jewish blood, therefore making them eligible....and if no one asked them directly about a belief in Jesus, then they didn't, technically, "lie".  Grey areas aren't much fun.  But, many groups have been alerted to what has happened.

ALL North-American Aliyah MUST go through NbN now....the government insists on it.  NbN helps with organizing all paperwork, etc and makes sure everyone has their stuff in order before they can submit to the Jewish Agency.....and the JA is who sends your info to Immigration in Israel.

Also, despite this family's best attempts, we know where they are moving to here in town.  They apparently have NO CLUE what they are doing as they have rented an apartment in the middle of the local Breslov community!  LOL.  I'm not sure what day they are actually to move in there - but the community has been alerted and are ready for them.  The fact that they are so insistent on living here in town, and that we know friends of theirs are working on moving here as well, really has us worried that our town is being 'targeted' by messys.  :-/

Quoting momof3inTN:

NbN brought them in???  Wow... but it's better that you all know, if they switched towns it'd be a lot harder to find them and warn the town. At least you all know they are there and can watch them.

Have you all contacted the immigration authority? If they misused the law of return they should know... they can do more than NbN or the Jewish agency.

momof3inTN
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Any new updates on the situation?

TableforSeven
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Their attempt to "hide" from their shipper turned out to be quite futile.  The port called the shipper asking why in the world someone was contacting them directly instead of going through the shipper.  LOL. So, the port gave their delivery info to the shipper and we knew what day they were moving in. One of the men from town drove around the area the day their lift was delivered to get their exact address.  He then contacted the Breslov Rabbi - since they really did move into the Breslov neighborhood.  The Rabbi is VERY upset and has contacted his 'congregation' (for lack of a better turn) and he also spoke to the 'leader' of the non-observant Jews in the area so they could be alerted to things.  Everyone down there is very serious abut making their welcome less than friendly - and they are being excluded from everything.

Quoting momof3inTN:

Any new updates on the situation?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)