Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

On the hook, crochet hook that is (edited to add pictures!)

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 490 Total Views
1 mom liked this

In my pre-Pesach cleaning I have discovered just how much yarn I really own. Yikes! I have 5 milk crates (each holds 10-12 skeins of yarn) and 3 half size creates (they hold 6-7 skeins each). Plus a 4 foot tall, 3 drawer unit full of partial skeins and yarn balls. I promised Ken I wouldn't buy any more yarn until I use up some of what I already have. 

So... I am working on 2 New baby blankets for my shop (one in pink and another in blue) and I found a whole bucket of cotton yarn and I'm making hot pads with designs for the kitchen. The hot pads are really nice, just take forever to make, but the woman in charge of our sisterhood gift shop said she'd put them for sale there for me (I'm making some with a star of David pattern and others to color coordinate for meat or dairy). The cotton is so much harder to work with than the acrylic yarn but they'll look beautiful when they're finished (they take a lot longer to work up as well).

Star of David hot pad. The hot pads are taking a lot longer to work up than I thought they would.

Other things...

Blue and Yellow diagonal stripe car seat or stroller baby blanket.

Zebra hat (modeled by my beautiful daughter, D'vorah)

Blocks and Balls baby blanket.

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Please post pictures when you're done.  :-)

I wish I had to space to have that much scrap yarn!  Lol.  My shoebox was overflowing and I needed to make space.

momof3inTN
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TableforSeven:

Please post pictures when you're done.  :-)

I wish I had to space to have that much scrap yarn!  Lol.  My shoebox was overflowing and I needed to make space.

I will. I'm almost done with the first hot pad, I hope to finish it tonight. I don't really have great colors in the cotton yarn though so I may actually have to buy more... uh oh. :-)

It is a lot of yarn but I have the crates stacked on a shelf unit so it's easily accessible as well as organized, and it doesn't take too much space. I think Ken hopes that moving (which also means downsizing) will help with my tendency to horde yarn. LOL But I can't help myself, I see a sale and buy with tons of ideas floating through my head... then the kids don't give me a chance to work on them... eventually I forget my original intentions. Hahaha. I figure a few baby blankets will knock down a lot of my stash. 

hippiemom45
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:03 PM

I do not know how to knit.  do you know any simple tutorials or tips on how to learn? 

:( I am ashamed to admit this.

LaReina_5
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Michael's and JoAnns offer classes each month if you want some hands on help.

Quoting hippiemom45:

I do not know how to knit.  do you know any simple tutorials or tips on how to learn? 

momof3inTN
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Quoting hippiemom45:

I can't knit either, but I'm trying to learn. I just Google beginning knitting videos and I get a bunch of you tube videos showing the basics. :-)

My mom taught me to crochet but I only really got into it about 4 years ago. I love it. It's very relaxing after the kids go to bed, or when the littles are napping.

hippiemom45
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I want to learn.  I will have to check out youtube.    

Quoting momof3inTN:

Quoting hippiemom45:

I can't knit either, but I'm trying to learn. I just Google beginning knitting videos and I get a bunch of you tube videos showing the basics. :-)

My mom taught me to crochet but I only really got into it about 4 years ago. I love it. It's very relaxing after the kids go to bed, or when the littles are napping.

hippiemom45
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:22 PM

oh sweet.  I didn't know that. I am not sure we have either one of those though.  

Quoting LaReina_5: Michael's and JoAnns offer classes each month if you want some hands on help.
Quoting hippiemom45:

LaReina_5
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Hobby lobby and the public libraries also offer classes from time to time. Michael's and JoAnn's classes are for adults and children, together and apart.

Quoting hippiemom45:

oh sweet.  I didn't know that. I am not sure we have either one of those though.  

Quoting LaReina_5: Michael's and JoAnns offer classes each month if you want some hands on help.

Quoting hippiemom45:

momof3inTN
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:35 PM

BUMP for pictures

Chrlns3
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Very nice!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)